redneck647

Computer programs for gardeners?

So I’ve been siting here planing the garden for this year. Drawing up a map of it and plotting everything to make sure there's enough space and filling any free space. Checking my notes from previous years and trying to figure out then to plant everything and to get an idea of when things will be ready to harvest. Adding all of those dates to a calender. Checking my list of seeds to see what I have. All that good stuff.
Most of it I'm doing on the computer but none of its with programs meant for gardeners. I'm starting to wonder what they have in the line of computer programs to help with gardeners? Is there anything out there that would help with this kind of planing and if so is any of it worth getting?

imafan26
Mod

There are a few of the garden planners available. This is a simple one and it is free.

https://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware. ... Page-KGPJS

This one is for purchase, but it comes with a free trial. You cannot print the plan
https://gardenplanner.motherearthnews.co ... anner.html

Here are more plans available
https://www.treehugger.com/economics/7-h ... arden.html

This is the one I use. It does have its limitations. There is a limited amount of vegetables, so if I want to do Asian vegetables I have to look up the plant spacing for the one I want and select something similar. It is good for rectangular gardens. The plans allow for square foot garden spacing in each square. I plant intensively but I would not plant so much of one thing in a square and I would give the larger plants more space, but underplant them while they are young.
https://vegetableplanner.vegetable-gardening-online.com/

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I looked at each of the programs and did not see an icon for weeds!

imafan26
Mod

You are right! Only on paper would a garden be weedless.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am sorry, you can't grow a garden on the computer. Grab your box of seeds and hoe and head for the plot!
No matter what your plan was when it comes down to it ....... there is never enough plot. I always run out of plot before seed. :)

redneck647

Thanks imafan26.
I might try garden planer when I have a chance. It seems to have the information for plant and time tables there with it. So far I’ve been using Google sketchup to plot the garden. I'd just like to find something with more of it all there in the same place.

Lakngulf I just assume everything around the plants is covered with weeds. Lol.

jal_ut I know what you're saying. But the plots covered in snow and the soils probably frozen solid a foot deep. Lol. I try to plan everything out the best I can to try to minimize the surprises. That is until the groundhogs come and eat it all.

imafan26
Mod

Jal-ut, you do have a point, I have planned my garden on paper many times, but with few exceptions, it always ends up just about the same, a few different plants here and there. And my seed collection just keeps growing faster than I can plant.

The plants don't always cooperate either when it comes to succession planting, my starts are ready before the former tenants are ready to move out and while I am planting fewer seeds, I seem to have a few orphans with no place to call home just the same. I have a couple of Swiss chard and won bok now waiting for a home. My bok choy in the garden is peaking so hopefully there will be space there soon.

I need to move some stuff off my nursery bench because my seedlings have sprouted. I need to pot them up and need some space for that too. Where I am going to put them, is next month's dilemna. A cardinal ate all of the sunflower seeds I planted in the pot, so I need a space for a covered tray or mini greenhouse too.

It is fun to try something new once in a while. Sometimes they grow, sometimes they grow too well and take up more time and space than planned, and some things grow well but tasted nasty, and some things were just not meant to be.

But a plan is still a good place to start. I have learned to plant just 10 heads of lettuce or cabbage instead of the whole package. I can't eat that many and there is no room for all of the seedlings. Three tomatoes are good enough for my use and the birds eat them too, one papaya, 2 eggplant, a few hot peppers and 21 citrus trees of different varieties (most of them are dwarfed in pots or I wouldn't have a yard left), one lemon grass, one rosemary are the standards in the garden that stick around from year to year even though I may have to replace a plant once in a while. Many of the potted plants also hang around year to year, sometimes their number and composition change.

McKinney88

I made a basic planner using Excel.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”