Blossomgirl
Newly Registered

Courgettes

I always have success with courgettes but would like to know what everyone else grows and why please.
Cheers Blossom

applestar
Mod

"Courgettes" in UK, Europe, and other areas are generally called "zucchini" for the long green fruits and "summer squash" to include the yellow fruits and pattypan types in the U.S.

Since they are mostly from the C. pepo species with hollow stems, and very susceptible to SVB (squash vine borer) I've mostly given up on growing them in my garden, and have been exploring non C. pepo alternatives. One keeper is Tromboncino -- a C. moschata species. Another one that I'm going to try this summer is Cuccuza or Cuccuzi which is a kind of a gourd I believe though the name of the species escapes me ATM. I'm also going to try luffa gourd which can also be eaten as young fruits, but I'm not sure if the texture/flavor compares with courgettes.

I discovered last summer that I CAN protect from SVB by tightly covering with a medium-high fleece tunnel, but I will be reserving the prime space to some pumpkins and winter squash in the C. pepo and C. maxima family that I want to grow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”