jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: The best places to get seeds

Hmmmm...... I usually just go down to the local store, Anderson's Seed and Garden. They buy seed in bulk and just dole you out the amount you want for much less cost than buying packets elsewhere.

imafan26
Mod

We don't have a lot of farm suppliers here. If you live in a farming community then you have more choices.
On Oahu there are 3 agricultural suppliers, 2 hydroponic stores, 3 farm/pet stores, 3 local seed suppliers, a couple of specialty seed suppliers (sun hemp), and the seed initiative- hard to find unless you belong to that group. Two irrigation outfits, Exacta Sales ( landscaping products and nursery pots), the rest are big box store nurseries. There are a few stand alone plant nurseries that also sell things like fertilizer, insecticides, decorative pavers, stone, and pots. Most of the time the most convenient and better known are the nurseries in the big box stores. Most people don't know about the other agricultural suppliers since they have more commercial accounts and few retail customers. They do not advertise.

The university extensions are a good source of seeds that would benefit the local area. The UH seed lab even sent corn seed to France. The UH #9 and the UH#10 corn seeds are tropical corn varieties that can be grown year round although they will slow a lot in the cold weather. They are short day, tight husk varieties that are resistant to maize mosaic virus. A lot of the temperate corn will only grow in summer and only a few varieties are suitable, like Silver Queen, because they may not be resistant to maize mosaic virus.

I can even order seeds from other University seed programs. Most of them will ship out of state.

Fukuda seed store sells a lot of Asian seeds to the local farm community. If you want to order seeds in bulk from them they do want you to call ahead. The sell small packages of their seed in local stores.

Aloha Aina seeds repackages seed, a lot of them are UH varieties that they sell for a lot more than the UH seed lab. The varieties though are the ones that have been proven to grow well here.

We need to be careful with what Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart bring in. Some of the seeds like the Walla Walla onions will never bulb up here, and others like the wildflower mixes are potentially invasive. Seeds of plants that do not have nematode or fungal resistance or require minimum cold temperatures are pretty hard to grow here.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Ha! Fukuda Seed has a website and catalog. They do have quite a few Asian varieties ... good prices.

Email to order .. :)

I've had more than a few frustrating moments at garden centers and, generally, breeze right by the seeds in the big box stores. Mostly, it is the lack of choice. Even in the long garden center racks - 5 companies, each selling Black Beauty eggplant with no other choices Image.

They seem to be getting better. I mean, I can't be the only gardener in the area who has tried Black Beauty, or California Wonder peppers, or Kandy Korn ... and they have failed!

Steve

applestar
Mod

Lots of great seed sources! I thought no one mentioned Baker's Creek but Imafan did (I think) in the OP.
No one mentioned Territorial Seeds -- have they changed? I don't often buy from them but I do sometimes. I usually try to stick with OP and heirloom varieties and generally like to buy from geographically "local" or "near" and climatically compatible in hopes of closer adaptation to my own garden's growing conditions as well as NOT shipping from the other side of the continent.

...but sometimes if a variety I'm looking for is only available from somewhere far, I convince myself that seeds are not very heavy. I resist the temptation in case of live plants because I won't pay for expedited shipping and they suffer from the extended time spent in shipping.

Oh, what about Horizon Herbs? Also on the west coast but they had some herb seeds that were hard to find (Richter's pepperhead mentioned was the only other -- I didn't think it through, but Richter's may have been closer....)

Another consideration is when buying something that needs to be dug up to plant or that maybe affected by the shipping temperature. Bareroot trees and perennials, seed potatoes, onion plants, also sweet potato slips. Sometimes the ground and weather is colder or warmer depending on their USDA Zone than your own which will affect the condition of the planting material when it's the ideal time to plant in your garden. If being surface/ground shipped, I also wonder about the interim climate conditions along the truck route....

imafan26
Mod

It is funny that you mentioned buying regionally. I bought some asparagus crowns over twenty years ago from Gurney's when they still sent bareroot asparagus to Hawaii. They sent a letter with the shipment saying they did not know if Asaparagus grown in I think Connecticut would do well in Hawaii.

P.S. Asparagus does fine here but it does need extra summer watering.

Gurney will no longer ship plants to Hawaii and Park Seed charges $20 extra to ship anything to Hawaii.

Fukuda does have an online catalog, but the website is not very sophisticated. They pretty much xeroxed their catalog. Some of the varieties are duplicated and some have the wrong picture attached to the description. But they are very helpful when you call. Do realize that calling Hawaii means you probably have to call late in the day. We are 4-6 hours behind the continental U.S. I have to call at 5 a.m. my time to place catalog orders on the mainland. They do not have a lot of seed in their seed packets, but the bulk prices are much better.

I have visited Territorial seed site before, but I had some problems navigating the site since it is set up a little differently and they did not have enough variety to make it worthwhile for me to place and order. I also do not like to put my credit card online so I almost always phone in my order. Some companies do not allow that option.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The local Seed and Feed/Nursery Store buys seed in bulk and will sell you the amount you want for a portion of the cost of buying company packaged packets. I don't know what is available in your locality, but look around at seed and garden stores, and farm stores.

For mail order Burpee has been one of my favorites: https://www.burpee.com/

imafan26
Mod

I used to buy a lot from Burpee, but I shop the seeds and their seeds are expensive and they don't have a lot of seed in the packet. Most of their seed is contracted and repackaged, so I shop around looking for other places that sell seeds where I can get more seed for my money. They did send me the wrong seed and I got an empty packet once, but they made good on their mistakes and sent me other seeds.

Even hand packed seeds get mixed up. I bought Hawaiian pepper seeds from UH and lo and behold there were bitter melon seeds in the packet.

I do agree that when big box stores buy seeds they don't get a lot of variety and they all seem to have the same varieties as the other big box stores.

I did find that Lowe's had way more seeds and varieties of seed than anyone else, but they must do a lot of sales to Latinos because the names were not familiar. I know what calabasa is because it is Filipino for squash, but I have to hope the picture is for what is inside. I have grown Black Beauty eggplant and zucchini. They both did fine. I prefer pintung long or Thai long green eggplant instead for the kind of recipes I use them in. Black Beauty is good for Eggplant parmesan. The biggest problem with mainland seeds is that you really have to know which ones will do locally. Some of them just cannot survive the heat or disease here. The sets of onions and potatoes that they bring in around February or March are very unlikely to do well here.

Some things I can use, amaryllis and gladiolus bulbs are easy landscape plants here. Plant them once and don't worry about them for years to come. Walmart did import Jersey Knight Asparagus, otherwise I would have had a hard time getting any sent. They also imported June bearing strawberries which is a sucker buy since we only have a chance of getting fruit from everbearing strawberries since we have short days. If you buy any live plants from the big box stores you do have to get there early, the staff does not really take care of the plants and the manager decides where the display goes so you have to get there while everything is still relatively fresh.

imafan26
Mod

Here's a tip if you buy your seeds locally especially from the box stores. If you read the packages most of them said that heat and moisture affects germination. So:

Buy fresh seeds. Look for the dates the seeds should be used by

When you buy seeds, make sure they are located in a temperature controlled part of the store. I prefer to get my seeds that are being stored inside the air conditioned store and not in the garden shop where they are exposed to temperature changes and moisture when they water the plants.

Keep seeds fresh longer by keeping them in the refrigerator or in the freezer.

All seeds will lose viability over time, some faster than others, so try to use the seeds within a couple of years. Dill and beans can keep well 10 years under the right conditons, but most seeds are best used within three to five years. After that they may not be any good.

If you save seeds, make sure they are dried well, labeled with what they are and the date collected. My bad, I end up with mystery seeds when I can't identifiy them and I have no idea how old some of them are. I am getting better at labeling. I learned not to count on labeling the ziploc directly. The writing comes off. So, now I put an avery label on the bag or I put a piece of paper with the name of the cultivar and the date inside the bag.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

also:

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

S-G-T: That's what I was going to suggest - Territorial Seed Co.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I get most of my seeds from sharing and collecting. I had a pepper seed train show up this week. The first person sent out 20 varieties and 200 of each. The next person can take out 10 seeds and add their own seeds. It got to me on thur. I took out 32 varieties and there were over 100. I share and save tomatoes as well. I like using op's/heirlooms and saving all of my own brassica, lettuce and flowers. I do buy occasional legume and curcubit hybrids for their disease resistance.

I am always willing to share my seed stock. I just ask that you don't sell the seeds or produce from my stock.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

A farm store around here sold seed in bulk for a year or two, but then discontinued the practice. I guess it wasn't lucrative for them, it's probably not enough of a farming community here.

I use some Burpee seeds every year and am usually happy, but this year they goofed up. I chose the same variety of cukes that I've planted for the past 3-4 yrs: Greencrisp burpless hybrid. This year they taste the same, are very good in that regard, but the cukes are growing shorter and fatter, they're supposed to be at least 10 inches long and narrower. This year, only one third to one half as long. In effect then, I'm only getting one third to one half the amount of actual cucumber. Plants are setting the same numbers of fruits. It's somewhat annoying. I haven't contacted them about it yet.

imafan26
Mod

I save seeds from some things like peppers, sesame, basil, culantro, cilantro, beans, roselle and other plants that are not hybrids. I do not save orchid pods. The bees usually polinate them and I don't know the parent so it is actually something I don't want to happen. Tomatoes, hybrid peppers, kale, parsley, green onions, onions, cucumber, and some flower seeds I do have to buy. The hybrids will not come true from seed, kale and parsley rarely (actually I don't think they have ever) bloomed for me. Green onions do go to seed but I need more seed than they produce and I usually get rid of the onions before they bloom since they are fat and tough by then.

I do trade plants and cuttings and some seeds with friends. I got another really sweet papaya from my neighbor and it is a low bearing tree so I am saving the seeds from it. It is a hybrid but papaya is not that variable. If the fruit is sweet, the progeny usually is also sweet.

imafan26
Mod

Elizabeth said she liked to get seeds from local sources since they are more likely to have varieties that will do well. That is probably very good advice.

You do have to pay attention when you order from seed catalogs where the seeds were sourced or it the plant will grow in your zone.

In Hawaii Fukuda seed is the local seed source and they get many of their seeds from Japan and China. They have a lot of Asian specialties. Kitazawa seed is a good mail order source for here since they actually carry seeds for Hawaii growers and varieties which we like to grow. Aloha Aina is another seed company, but they repackage a lot of seeds from other sources like the UH. The University of Hawaii has a seed lab that will sell locally adapted seeds to individuals and they also sell in bulk.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

I think Burpee had some QA issues this year. I planted 2 mounds of summer squashes, 1 zucchini and 1 yellow straight neck. What I got was 5 plants of zucchini and 1 plant yellow. So there were zucchini seeds mixed into the yellow squash package. Their Echinacea did horribly. I planted 22 seeds and 4 made it to planting time. The yellow beets didn't germinate well, but the Detroit dark red did fine. No Burpee purchases for me next year.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Yes, I think you're right Lexus. I forgot to mention that some of those "cukes" came up and turned out to be cantaloupe as well. Something went really wrong there. Maybe a big wind came up and scattered everything!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

https://www.burpee.com/?siteID=fKits46xE ... sA&cid=AFF

Burpee has also been one of my places to get seeds.

imafan26
Mod

This year has been especially challenging to find seeds and I have had to navigate through open and closed ordering dates, increasing prices and shipping, as well as a long list of out of stock items. Some seed companies have closed and other have redesigned their website and greatly reduced their catalog selection.

I have had to order from new companies. Southern Exposure and Kitchen Garden Seeds were a couple of new ones for me. Southern Exposure was pretty good although it took longer than other companies to send the seeds. They do have good varietal choices for growing in warmer climates. I like Territorial and Stokes seeds normally, but they were out of stock of the seeds I wanted. I usually like Tomato Growers Supply, but they have redesigned their website and they have nice pictures but overall they have decreased the total number of seeds that they carry and expanded by carrying more seeds of peppers, herbs, and vegetables. Their prices have gone up but remain reasonable. Everybody's prices seem to have gone up.

I do have to read catalogs carefully. In my climate hardy and cold tolerant won't grow well. I need the ones that are tender and heat tolerant. I also need a lot of disease resistance to get a decent crop. I have one other thing that most of you don't have to be concerned about. I have to see if they ship to Hawaii. Most companies will not ship live plants and bulbs to Hawaii. That is why I have to buy onion seeds (Texas granex is the same seed as Maui onion and it is a short day variety), and get garlic from the store. I used to be able to get asparagus roots, but now I can only get them when Walmart brings them in, otherwise it takes 12 weeks longer to grow asparagus (Mary Washington) from seed.

Johnny Seeds only had a few open ordering days and they were out of stock of most of the seeds I wanted.

Kitazawa did not have some varieties I used to get from them before, but they only listed what was available in their catalog. They are expensive but they do have seeds suitable for Hawaii.

I have had good luck with Baker Seeds, although, some of the selections did not grow out to be all that good.

Ferry Morse seeds is where I am going since Pumpkin Nook closed. Seeds at the big box and local hardware stores are either from Ferry Morse, Burpee, or local seed companies like Fukuda.

However, this year again, the seed racks are running out of stock early and many of the seeds that are left are mainland varieties that won't do well here. There are only a few local seed suppliers and I can order seeds from the University although, they have less than 28 varieties now as they have discontinued some seeds. Even vegetable starts are limited in variety.

I have to call Fukuda in advance if I want to order seeds in bulk. There are ag suppliers and even they are out of things like potting soil, peat moss, and perlite. They do not sell seeds. Even pots are in short supply. Luckily I have a lot of terra cotta and plastic pots and I can still get 5 gallon buckets from the hardware stores.
There is one large farm store on the island and it is on the other side of the island.

I am letting my lettuce salad bowl and Paris Cos Romaine go to seed to collect seeds for the fall. I am growing Poamoho beans so I will have some fresh seed for the future. The supply from the UH can be spotty.

Many of the seeds I get are hybrids that are parthenocarpic so if there are any seeds, they won't breed true.

I have cleaned out most of my old seeds and I still have a lot of seeds. I have reduced the seeds I usually buy anyway since there are no sales except for one planned in November. I had to do a lot of hunting and waiting for seeds to become available, but I have most of the seeds I wanted for this year now. Hopefully, with covid becoming less of a problem and things start opening up more, there will be easier access to things.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”