jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: Changing vegetable taste

My thoughts are that flavor of the fruits, is more dependent on variety, soil fertility and water availability than any companion planting.

Plant characteristics are determined by the genetic makeup of the seed that was planted not by the pollen that falls on its flowers.

The pollen that falls on the flower has no bearing on the flavor of this years crop. Yes, if you keep seeds, it may have some bearing on the flavor of the next planting.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Wine growers have known for years the soil, water and climate all determine the flavor of the grapes. If you take 10 cuttings from the same grape plant then plant the cuttings in 10 different geographical locations all over the world you get 10 different flavor wines.

My grandfather use to say the soil determines the flavor of the garden. After living in 4 different States and several different locations in each state I learned he was right.

My Illinois garden had the best flavor vegetables, better than Michigan or Tennessee. My Arizona garden vegetables all taste like rock. Soil and water are all 8 ph in AZ. Now I dig holes and fill them with peat moss and compost vegetables taste better but still taste like rock. I have to doctor my water too for the vegetables to not taste like rock. I mix white lime in fifteen 5 gallon buckets of water, mix well let the lime settle to the bottom of the bucket. I learned this trick from working at the ICE factory, it removes all the dissolved solids from the water and sweetens the flavor of the water. It works good for getting good flavor tomatoes that do not taste like rock.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Propagate those tasty ones. Since the runners do not get a genetic change, the offspring should taste the same as the parent.

I do believe the soil and growing conditions effect the flavor too, and picking at the right time of maturity.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”