Super Green Thumb

How To Feed A Hungry Crew

How To Feed A Hungry Crew

Is gardening even worth the bother?

https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/Hungry.pdf

applestar
Mod

Thanks for sharing that interesting article you wrote James :D
I was enjoying the glimpse of your life back then as I read -- you have so much experience and interests 8) ...then I reached the end and there was that extra surprise! :()

I enjoyed it very much indeed. :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thank you applestar.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Very nice, James. I pretty much know and agree with all that, but you wrote it back in 1980. That was the year my one and only child was born and I had not yet started gardening and didn't know any of then. You were ahead of your time for sure. But I can't imagine raising a baker's dozen of kids.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Today I live with my wife who works nights and sleeps days, so I get a lot of alone time. I still have a big garden and keep bees. I have an orchard of fruit trees and some grape vines. October 17, the outside work is all done except for moving snow. No snow yet. So I sit here and be fat and lazy. I just give thanks that I am still able to stand up and walk and go and do things. Some of my group not so fortunate.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

That Jamaica site has quite a lot of info on it, including the Lofthouse Family Cookbook.. You may enjoy surfing.

https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

17 degrees here this morning. Overcast and calm. Nothing growing but ice, so I roll another log on the fire and play on the internet. Hope you are having a great day!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

55 degrees here and a beautiful day! Going up to 68 on Monday (and then will cool down again-- high of 47 on Friday). I am planting!!

Your pictures are fabulously gorgeous, James, but I wouldn't live where you do for anything...

One of the things I love about here is that even in the depths of (our very mild) winter, there are breaks, days in January and February when it gets warm and sunny for a day or two before getting cold again.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

28 degrees, calm, overcast here this morning. The ground is snow covered. I took some seed to the bird feeder, then come in and watch birds and play on the internet. Coming to the feeder this morning: Magpie, Junco, E Sparrow, House Finch, Eu Dove.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

January 3, clear blue skies, calm and 11 degrees. The ground is snow covered. It looks a lot like winter. So I take the wild birds some seed and come play on the internet.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

8:20 AM its 15 degrees and overcast. Calm. I took some seed out to the bird feeder, but no birds..... where are the birds?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”