rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

fall planting

I could swear I made a fall planting thread, but as near as I can tell it disappeared. Mysterious things happen around here sometimes. So I'm trying it again.

In the past week, I have put seeds in the ground for spinach, broccoli, kale, a couple kinds of lettuce, onions. In Oct I will plant garlic and probably some more spinach and broccoli to over winter.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, Wonder if I've time to plant Kale down there, in the time before winter. Maybe, why not, they'll get as big as they get, and spinach too, broccoli? I don't know about that, seems like that might take longer to form head. Thanks rainbow, I may just do that.

Richard

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For me the spinach planted now should have time to harvest some. Broccoli not so sure. But I do even later plantings of both, because usually they will overwinter and start growing again in late winter. Then I get an excellent early spring harvest, about the time I am planting them again for spring. Spinach is the best that way. Get big healthy leaves and many more weeks of harvest. Spring planted spinach tends to bolt quickly when it warms up.

imafan26
Mod

I have restarted seeds again of broccoli, lettuce, and beets as I still have slugs on my bench. I caught a few snails and I spent part of yesterday clearing the tall weeds and plants from under and around the bench and I started taking the pots I can off the bench and putting them on the ground. Some of them are on the bench because they never do well on the ground. It is the only way I know how to keep the bench clear of slugs and snails. I moved what remained of the decimated seedlings to my lanai. Not ideal, since it has only indirect sun and it will be harder to water it there, but right now there aren't any snails there.

My meyer lemons are turning yellow and the fruit is beginning to soften so they should be ready to harvest soon. My Satsumas have dropped a few fruit, but they were probably stung. It will be another month before the mandarins are ready.

The calamondin is still producing big time. I gave a few bag fulls away at my last community garden meeting and there are still a lot more left on the tree. I do have citrus scab. It makes the peels ugly but the fruit is still fine.

I finally got my sungold tomato in the pot.

The black cherry has started setting more tomatoes

I am still clearing the other half of my garden, it is taking me a long time to get around to it.

I thought I was getting a good start to the fall season by starting my seeds early and instead I am behind again.

I have to wait another week for my corn to be ready before I can till the community garden plot.

To end on a positive note. Our monthly sale had an abundance of plants since we had to cancel the sale last month because of the storm. That means there a lot of leftover plants that I can put into the herb garden. I have some Italian parsley, cutting celery, thyme, and maybe some kale and spinach that can go in. I use kale to mine the calcium from the garden and the NZ spinach is a ground cover.

applestar
Mod

Sorry. I merged it with this thread: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =4&t=59123

Now there are THREE fall gardening threads. :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sorry. I did put "fall planting + rainbowgardener" in the search box. Even though fall planting is in the subject line of that (now merged) post, the search function did not manage to find it. If I had found it, I would have continued there.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”