lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Fall Garden

It is always a hit or miss to get plants thru the heat of August to the nicer, gentler temps of Sept and Oct. This year has been my best one so far. Peppers and Eggplants always make it, and did well this year, but so did some tomato plants, and a second crop of corn. As plants died this year I planted either okra or rattlesnake bean seed in those spots. These plants have done well this late summer and early fall. Most of these plants are second planting.

Always difficult to keep the tomato plants going, especially in containers on the hot pier. But this plant is my best one to survive, has a healthy look and still producing tomatoes. I think it is Fantastic or Better Boy, or one of each.

The replant of beans are doing great, lots of blooms and some good eating real soon

Collard plants

Second planting of Fantastic tomatoes. Some of the leaves were stripped by a ground hog, but he is no more

Also, saved a lot of bean seed from the first planting

imafan26
Mod

It looks great.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Lakngulf, I have grown a "rattlesnake type" pole bean called Cascade Giant the last 5 years or so.

The dry pods are hard to get off the seed compared to the shell beans I've grown. You have done some work!

You might want to know that the seed makes the best soup :).

Steve

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

digitS' wrote:Lakngulf, I have grown a "rattlesnake type" pole bean called Cascade Giant the last 5 years or so.

The dry pods are hard to get off the seed compared to the shell beans I've grown. You have done some work!

You might want to know that the seed makes the best soup :).

Steve
I watched my Dad many times take dry peas and such, put them in a feed bag, bang the bag against the concrete floor, hammer it a bit, then pour out the contents against a steady breeze. WaaLaa the seed dropped into the bucket and the thrash blew away.

Well, I tried that with these beans. Did not work. As you say, I had to shell them, but happy to have some good seed.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

October 1

I was gone for a week and came home to pick this on October 1. By far, the best late season production I have had, but the beans and okra are off replants. I kept something in the soil all summer long, and great to have some fall produce.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Can You Believe It

These late tomatoes did not care for our 43 degrees this morning, but will do great if we can get some warm fall days before the first frost.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup! I just brought in a whole grocery bag of tomatoes, bell peppers, Anaheim peppers, parsley, lavender, and other herbs. We have had temps as low as 38, but no frost yet and things are still producing.

This time of year, even if it gets down to 38, it only gets down there for a few of the coldest hours and comes right back up, so plants that are hardened by being out all season can handle it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”