River

Seed germination issue

During the spring I planted zipper cream peas and by the end of July they were played out. I tilled those under and replanted, but almost none of them sprouted. I attributed it to maybe planting them to deep which I don't think that was it, but we were having thunderstorms everyday so perhaps it packed the soil to heavily.

It didn't appear to be any digging from birds,squirrels and I never see mice we have the large tree rats. So I purchased more seeds from another source and literally got down on my hands and knees and poke a hole with my finger and put 3-4 seeds in each hole. Again the same issue.

So now I decided to plant a pea with a shorter germination period. A big boy purple hull .The only thing I noticed was a lot of large ants. Now I did plant silver ms crowder peas when I planted the zippers the 1st time and they had probably a 95% germination whereas the zippers are around 30%.

I should know know by this weekend if it's successful otherwise I am at a loss to understand
This. Someone suggested soaking them like u would do with okra seeds but the 1st time around the ground was definitely moist enough. I live in the city with the most rainfall on the continental us

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Plant them in a flat with 72 cubes and when they start plant them in the ground! This way you will know. I would check for snails also since they eat the first two leaves off most things! Snails. are usually not out in early spring! Dig up some of the seeds after about 10 days and see if the seeds are still there. Field mice also eat seeds planted. If its a snail problem mix some Epsom salts where you plant them!

imafan26
Mod

Where I am, in Hawaii, I don't have much luck with peas in summer. They like cooler weather so I plant them mostly September-April and plant beans in summer.

applestar
Mod

You could try pre-germinating them --
Subject: 2014 pre-germinating/sprouting experiment Peas, Corn, Curcs
applestar wrote:It's a lot of fun and easy to do with the larger seeds.
I soaked beans overnight 5/17-18 and rinse/drained them yesterday. Today, the first group germinated and I sowed them. I have to admit I forgot to take pictures of the germinated beans before sowing them. So only took pics of mostly not yet germinated beans left in the sprouters....

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Where I am, in Hawaii, I don't have much luck with peas in summer. They like cooler weather so I plant them mostly September-April and plant beans in summer.
the 'peas' OP is referring to are all cowpeas, though. generally quite heat-tolerant, culture much like beans.

River

these are warm weather peas southern peas. The purple hull big boys that I planted Wed afternoon this week
are already sprouting this am. At this point I will put the zipper peas away since I am running out of time. Next
year I will try to soak them like the okra seeds & see if that makes a difference.

imafan26
Mod

Oh, thanks for the info. I have grown cowpeas or black or pink eye peas before. They do take warmer weather. I only use them for a cover crop, so they are usually planted in the early part of the year for me around March and April when the garden is still relatively empty. I haven't really planted them at this time of the year because I usually don't have garden space or I am taking things out and amending the beds for fall planting. Around that time, I have not had a problem germinating them from direct seeding. The only humbug is the inoculant, if I use it, the beans have to be inoculated and planted within 4 hours.

I have several years of saved seeds or enough beans to make a couple of pots of black eyed peas and pork.

During the summer, I plant poamoho, which is similar to Kentucky Wonder but with better nematode and rust resistance.

applestar
Mod

When you soak -- I suspect you shouldn't soak in the same way as okra seeds because okra seeds are pretty tough. Beans and peas are more delicate and should only be soaked 4-6 hours tops, then drained well, especially in hot weather, to keep from spoiling. After that to pre-germinate, just rinse *not soak* and drain. All kinds of details in the linked thread.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”