SLC

HELP! Can you eat corn before it is ripe?

This is probably a silly question, but my silks have been dry since Friday so I figured now would be a good time to pick. I was so excited that I just picked two ears and totally forgot to do the other checks. So of course I just peeled back the tops and the kernals aren't filled in yet at the top - about 2 inches worth and when I poke a kernal, it is definitely opaque. UGH!

Can I still eat it? Will it taste bad?

If I just leave it for a couple days will it ripen enough to eat? Or is it done cuz I picked it?

Please help! I was literally just about to cook it and now I don't know if I should just throw it out?

applestar
Mod

Don't throw it out! :shock: It won't get any better to leave it. Corn just goes downhill after picking.

Corn kernels that are immature don't have much flavor, but actually, the cob at the tip of immature corn - yes the cob - is sometimes tender enough to eat and is very sweet. Think "baby corn" in Chinese food.

Don't overcook.

*** my kids fight over those immature cobs. It actually makes for interesting choice of which to eat because I'm still so bad at picking corn at right timing, Some are immature, some are just right, and some are starchy but has lots of corn flavor (my kids say it's like eating popcorn and will sometimes choose those over "just right") :lol:

imafan26
Mod

Immature corn cobs or young corn is good in stir fries. Iselle knocked down most of my silver queens but most of the ears were at least partially filled. I had a few very short ones that I ate cob and all.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Definitely eat those. Steam them for a few minutes then rub on some butter and a little salt and enjoy!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Them itty bitty corns in Chinese food, would've become popcorn if they were allowed to grow up.

Corn is more or less edible at any time in its life. An ear or two too early isn't the worst thing in the world.

JosephsGarden
Cool Member

I can eat gravel. Doesn't mean that I'll enjoy it... For me, the best eating corn is old and chewy. I like the increased flavor and hearty texture. I eat immature corn sometimes, but ugh! I'd rather not.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”