Kageri

moving rhubarb

I have 5 different sections of rhubarb that were planted here. One section is over a mulberry tree which I'd like to encourage to grow. When can I harvest and move or give away the rhubarb? How? I've heard you should split it regularly after it's 3 years old.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If you want them to live wait till weather is cooler. If you just want them out, dig away!

Kageri

How cool? Yesterday it was 66-72f. I'm not sure we'll see 80 again this year.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

if I was to put on my amazin' Kreskin turban, you are about zone 5. Dig out time and time to offer on your local Freecycle would be after Labor day and up to Columbus day.

But you might could offer them on Freecycle, where the other guy digs them out, and get 'em gone faster.

Kageri

We are on the zone 4 border. I'm not exactly sure which zone we fall in specifically. I suppose I could search up my city instead of just looking at the large zone maps.

Digging will have to be done carefully to preserve the mulberry tree growing in the middle of it all so I don't really want to have a random person do it. Do the stalks have to be completely red to the base to harvest?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Kageri wrote:Digging will have to be done carefully to preserve the mulberry tree growing in the middle of it all so I don't really want to have a random person do it. Do the stalks have to be completely red to the base to harvest?
Unless the mulberry is only a seedling, its tougher than you think,

No red isn't limit for edible stalks. Don't eat the leaves tho.

meshmouse

Kageri and tomc - I am in a similar situation and taking notes. Thanks for the discussion.

Should it be divided? If so, spring as well as fall?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Part of your question was: "When can I harvest"

Answer: You can pull stalks anytime you want some. I would pull about half the leaves from all of it and use it. If you are going to dig it up and move it, pull all the leaves along with the stalks. The leaves you cut off and toss in the compost. The roots will move better with no leaves left on them.

Color of stalks? Red or green, doesn't matter its all rhubarb!

The rhubarb plants will do better if kept in their own spot and weeds and other plants are kept out. What is a weed anyway? In my book, a weed is any plant growing where I don't want it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”