stumped
Newly Registered

Rhubarb... help!

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me work out what I should do with my Rhubarb (Victoria). The leaves look like they are being disintegrated by something... they go to black and shrivel to nothing. Possible fungal cos I can't see a pest, but I can't find it in a book. I've tried cutting everything off down to ground level, and new leaves grew, but again have the same symptom. Is the plant beyond rescue? Shall I dig it up and throw away? It's in it's 3rd year. There were no signs of this last year and at the start of this season I had a reasonable crop.... help. :|

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

The only thing I could find on the Web was crown rot. I hope that's not the case but it sound like it. See the links below for more information:

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vegetabl ... b/pest.php

https://www.daff.qld.gov.au/plants/fruit ... d-diseases

Good luck! :)

stumped
Newly Registered

Thank you very much. I will research the links you have kindly provided. :-)

applestar
Mod

I have trouble with slugs and snails on rhubarb. They turn the leaves into doilies. :x

Since you can't eat the leaves anyway, a little damage is not a problem, but significant leaf loss can stunt the stem, which you DO want to grow vigorously. :?

brinboise

The third year after planting rhubarb-my problem is keeping it used up-it just grows and grows.... Fortunately I don't have a slug or snail problem, only earwigs, but they also wreck havoc with leaves

stumped
Newly Registered

:) Thank you fellow gardeners. Food for thought!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”