gardeningwithe

oh that powdery mildew

Well, now that I am home again to enjoy my garden (more than a couple of days a week), the powdery mildew has taken my zucchini and cucumber plants. I am going to have to just pull them up. Question though, is there anything I could plant now and still get a harvest or should I make it part of my fall planting?

imafan26
Mod

I think it is kinda late for summer planting, by the time it is ready the days will be shorter.

Here is the vegetable garden guide from the University of Tennessee that might be a good reference for you.

Pretty each state with a land grant college will have some extension pubs that are useful. If you don't have a land grant college then, a place in a similar lattitude and ocean influences will also be helpful although local soil and elevation will still need to be taken into account.

I live in Hawaii and Univ of Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Southern California, Purdue, Maryland and Australian pubs are very useful for my growing conditions. Purdue actually has better information on tropical plants than the UH and Maryland has a good plant diagnostic center.

https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publi ... /PB901.pdf

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have planted zucchini during the first week of July between early cabbage. As the cabbage is harvested, the zucchini takes off and takes up about the same amount of space.

Then, I can pull mildew-ridden squash and these youngsters can take over. The problem is that we only have a bad mildew year about one year out of four. Zukes can be a tidal wave by September if the old plants do not need to be pulled. I'm wondering if you have a late enough frost to just replant zucchini. They grow well in the heat of summer.

Bush beans are my standard for summer sowing. I have planted as late as the last week of July. That has not always succeeded for me so I use July 15th the last day for sowing bean seed.

What I will sow in the final days of July is snow peas. Hottest week of summer usually and there I am sowing snow peas ;). This year, I am trying snap peas. The broccoli is coming out and a trellis will be going up there soon.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”