thesnapman44

Cucumber plants growing too much?

Okay, so my first ever attempt at growing cucumbers (Bush Champion), out of containers, is going well, but I am getting worried. They have grown to a height of four and a half feet, with no signs of slowing down. There are some very big leaves on each plant, with plenty and plenty of yellow flowers, but no cucumbers yet. Is this normal growth, and will they grow any taller? Should I cut them to stop the growth, ( I am thinking that is why there are no cucumbers yet, because the plant is still growing in height ?). It looks like all the flowers are male.
Any advice would be great

applestar
Mod

Don't think so. They usually start out male, then females appear.
Are you seeing a lot of bees, etc. pollinator activity in the male flowers? if so, then as soon as the female flowers start opening, they will be pollinated. If not, then you could hand pollinate.

Garden_nut
Newly Registered

Just be patient grasshopper. Sounds like they are doing fine.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings snapman, I had the same thing going here, flowers all over, Male Flowers, but no sign of cucumbers. All in good time, now they are all over the vines. So happy to see them. Have a good one.

Richard

thesnapman44

Garden_nut wrote:Just be patient grasshopper. Sounds like they are doing fine.
Young grasshopper is impatient :lol:

thesnapman44

valley wrote:Greetings snapman, I had the same thing going here, flowers all over, Male Flowers, but no sign of cucumbers. All in good time, now they are all over the vines. So happy to see them. Have a good one.

Richard
Thanks for the info. As I mentioned, this young grasshopper cannot wait lol. Me thinks someone has been watching "karate kid". Thanks all.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”