ClassicSWC
Newly Registered

Strange looking cucumbers

Hello all. I've gardening for about 4 years now, growing about 20 different veggies each year. Last year I planted a pumpkin for my niece. They decided to come up again this year, right in the middle of my corn and cucumber crop.

Here's my problem. All of my cucumbers are HUGE and orange. They look like and have a faint smell of cucumber. Did the pumkins and cukes interbreed? Are the cukes still good? I plan on making pickles and don't eat raw cukes so I can't say what they taste like. Thanks.

Roger

It's my understanding that cucumbers don't normally cross pollinate with the squash family, and the pumpkin is closely related to the zuchinni. From what I have read, if they did for whatever reason, the results wouldn't be seen until the seeds from that cross pollination were planted.

It sounds to me as if the cucumbers have been left on the vine too long, if they are rather large. I don't believe that they would be good candidates for pickling if they are large or discolored. It may be best to go ahead and pick these, to encourage the vine to produce more suitable pickling fruits.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”