heavymetalgarden
Newly Registered

My next year garden.

I am planning to grow a bigger garden next year. It will be 15X30 and I plan to grow 10 different things. Peaches and cream corn, Big o boy tomatoes, Bell peppers, Chili peppers, Cabbage, Rhubarb, Spinach, Green onions, Cantaloupe, and Cucumbers. I made a chart of how I plan to plant where I plan to plant and how the sun rise and set. I could use any tips or tricks or if I am doing anything wrong. I live in artemus ky zone 6a.
Garden 2015.png

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

A true gardener, already thinking about next year's garden, which will be BIGGER and better ! :D

Personally, I wouldn't put the rhubarb in there, find a different spot for it, even in a container. The rhubarb is perennial. Everything else is annuals and will be dug up.

Then I would put the cabbage where the green onions are. Cabbage and spinach are cool weather crops that will be finished early. That way when they are done, the cucumbers and cantaloupes, which are big spreading vines can take over the spots where they were.

The green onions I just spread around through the garden. They take up very little room and they are good companion plants for everything. The onion smell helps cover up the smell of all the other stuff and confuse the bugs that are hunting for your crops.

gardeningwithe

I agree with giving room for the cucumber and cantaloupes as they will definitely spread and I would just put the green onions here and there.

imafan26
Mod

I keep green onions in containers. They are fine in a one gallon pot and will tuck in anywhere and I will have more space in the garden for other things. A 15x30 garden is almost as big as one of my plots that is 18x40. have mostly citrus trees growing in it but I have a little open space for corn and beans and asparagus on the border. The shade under the trees comes in handy during the summer because I can grow lettuce and Asian greens that would otherwise burn in the summer sun.

I like that you are are already thinking ahead. I always end up planting mostly the same things over and over again, only changing one or two things. Last year, I grew broccoli for the first time. It was great, but I miscalculated how long it would take to harvest and finish and I did not start my corn on time, so I only got two cycles in this year. But, the broccoli was good.

I can't grow rhubarb here, it isn't cold enough and except for the Asian greens heading lettuce and cabbage have not worked out too well. But, you have given me ideas about starting planning for next year now.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”