sunflower13

Why No Blight or Mildew in Nearby Vegetables?

I am a part of a community garden. I found out one late night, that the city sprinklers come on very hard at night inside the community garden. In one of the plots, it completely soaks the plants. Haven't seen it do it to mine yet. So here's what has me scratching my head: the gal is growing tomatoes, zukes, peas and squash yet no powdery mildew, downey mildew, blight etc. How is this possible? My only theory is that she starts them early so they are strong or is it possible that the water is on in such force that none of it can get on the plants. I am completely baffled. She doesn't speak my language or I would ask. My location gets all of the above very easily. Any theories?

grrlgeek

There are a lot of factors that could influence this. Since most of the problems you mentioned are soil borne, here are some questions that come to mind:

Plant spacing - are yours crowded and hers, not?
Pruning - Is there good airflow through and around your plants/plot? How about hers?
Antifungals (organic or otherwise) - are you not using any? Is she?
Mulch - you do mulch, don't you? Does she?
It's possible the diseases are in your soil, and not hers. What do you know about the growing history in your plot? In hers?
Crop rotation - Do you rotate susceptible crop types? Does she?
Cultivars - it's possible she is growing resistant cultivars. Are you?
Plant debris - was everything from last year (or this year) that was diseased removed and trashed? Or was it left to overwinter? How about in other plots close to you? To her?
Insecticides (organic or otherwise) some insects are vectors for spreading disease. Does she use any? Do you?

ETA: And yes, healthy plants are much more resistant to the little challenges that Nature likes to throw at them.

Just thinking out loud... maybe something above will spark an A-ha! moment.

Good luck,
Last edited by grrlgeek on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

I've always had issues with the injunction not to water at night. Tell that to Mother Nature. :lol:

...I have cucumbers and squash growing under very tall corn (10-12ft). I noticed that once the corn started tassling and releasing pollen, some of the cucurbits that were covered in pollen tended to develop fungal issues first. My theory is that the nutrient dense pollen nourishes and promotes fungal spores' growth. So maybe her plants are getting thoroughly washed.

...or she could be using strong fungicide.

sunflower13

Great points grrlgeek and applestar! So far I haven't yet gotten any diseases (fingers crossed ) but at my old plot last year, everyone's plot that contained tomatoes and cucurbits got sick. I was able to help my plants along by spraying milk mixed with water on my plants. I just thought there was no way anyone should ever water the leaves especially at night but I know what you mean about Mother Nature. She has her own time schedule lol. I didn't even think about spacing. On her cucurbits, they are very tight but her tomatoes have wonderful air space. I use mulch but was unable to find out what the previous renter planted in my current plot. I bend over backwards to not water the leaves because I am afraid of all the diseases. We have a weird, short summer climate so these ailments are almost expected and people are always warning me not to water the leaves. However, I was wondering too if they were so soaked (and boy this sprinkler does a thorough soaking lol) that maybe they wasn't anything that could live on those leaves. I never thought about pollen before. I will have to watch that. She does use mulch. I've never seen her use anything but then again, I am not there all the time. They are all so green and look fantastic. I will have to look at resistant cultivars. I am learning so much again this year about gardening and there is so much more to learn! I am not sure about crop rotation. I will see if she rotates next year. I think she has two plots so she may go back and forth. I think she shares responsibility with family members so maybe they move things around each year. Thanks again :)

imafan26
Mod

Plants do get used to the watering. She may have chosen resistant cultivars and may be doing some kind of preventive control like using the milk, baking soda, or sulfur. If the plants are healthy than the plants are spaced and are getting the right nutrients to keep them well. Healthy plants are more resistant to pests and disease then stressed one.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Blight has run its course. Blight usually comes and goes in cycles that last about 5 to 6 years. None of my friends and relatives have blight this year but we all had it 6 years in a row. No one I know has blight this year.

sunflower13

Well after I posted this post, a huge wind storm came in and rearranged the plants. Luckily, no one lost much but I was able to see that she does have blight on the lower leaves of her tomatoes. Some of the zukes have yellowed leaves but I think they might just be the old leaves. I haven't yet seen a community garden that has been able to avoid this but our area is hard with wet springs and temperamental weather. I am going to see how my plants handle this environment and if they do fine, I will grow the same varieties but if they don't, I will look into resistants plants. Thanks everyone :)!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”