kimmy0112
Newly Registered

HELP! Little black bugs on pepper plant

So I've started growing a pepper plant a couple months back (my teacher gave me a seed but didn't specify what type of pepper, but I believe it was a baby bell pepper seed) and I've managed to keep it alive, which I'm pretty proud of because this is the first plant I've managed to keep alive for more than a week (and I'd love to keep it alive) :lol: . But recently, I've noticed that my plant has started drooping. I looked under the leaves and on the stems and saw that there were tiny black dots that were in clusters along with some small black insects with wings. The body of the insect is small, black, and round with long transparent wrings. I have no idea what the insects or black dots are and I'm starting to worry because I'm pretty sure they're the reason for my pepper plant to be drooping. If anyone recognizes what they are, and also how to get rid of them, I'd REALLY love the help :)
Attachments
more black dots further up the stem
more black dots further up the stem
cluster of black dots
cluster of black dots
close up picture of the insect
close up picture of the insect

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

the description sounds like aphids, but the picture of the adult doesn't really look like one...sorry, I'm not much help.

also, hate to disappoint, but that's not a pepper plant. might be a tomato? hard to tell so close up.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Kimmy0112,

Aphids are slow moving pests. Even the ones with wings won't be quick.

One plant, get in there with your fingers and turn them into ~ you know ~ fertilizer. Check daily to see if you got them all. Then, check weekly. Your plant needs your help for this.

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I second that's not a pepper. Looks like a patio tomato.

I agree smooshing them is easy and quick!

kimmy0112
Newly Registered

*embarrassed* Thanks for the help! It would've been quite awkward to see tomatoes from what I believed to be a pepper plant. But thanks! I will definitely squish them and see how it does after a bit.

Again, thanks for the help (:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”