lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Rattlesnake Beans to Seed

I am shocked this year at the production of my rattlesnake beans. I have picked and picked, but now have a lot of overgrown beans on the vines. I am thinking of letting them go on to maturity and save the seed. Heretofore, I have just let the pods dry on the vine, pick and lay out for more drying and then thrashing. Is that the best method? The vines are still so green and healthy and blooming that I believe more pods will form. Can I just pick the young tender pods and leave the larger ones for seed=have my bean and eat it too?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

May as well try! Maybe you could do half and half. Pick off half the row, and keep half the row.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote:May as well try! Maybe you could do half and half. Pick off half the row, and keep half the row.
Had some last night. I picked the youngest, tender beans and left the ones going to seed. Hope that works.

Matter of fact, we had a locally grown dinner last night in its entirely.

Fresh red sliced tomatoes
Rattlesnake beans
Hash Fried Yellow Squash
Fried Catfish and Bream filets that I caught yesterday

Was good!!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

What is hash fried?

My nanny taught me to cook proper southern style. I fry squash by tossing it with flour and cornmeal, salt and pepper. Then I shallow fry the whole mess in one big pan. It's not like breaded and deep fried squash. A lot of yellow is showing when done, but I get the breading (a lot falls off) nice and crispy!

I think I'll fry some tonight.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Exactly what your describe, except the squash is shredded like hash browns instead of sliced, and add some onion. More cornmeal attaches to the squash that way. Yummy!

JosephsGarden
Cool Member

I typically choose a few plants -- the best growing ones -- and don't pick any beans from them. I let those dry for seed. I keep picking the rest of the plants until frost. It is an Internet legend that allowing seeds to mature on a plant shuts down production. I haven't actually done the test to verify for myself.

I pick whole plants by cutting off just above soil level (not picking dirt clods as I would if pulling) and let them dry on a tarp or a driveway, because I grow 1000s of plants and it's easier that way. With fewer plants I'd pick just the pods and let them dry further before thrashing and winnowing.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member
Location: Potomac Highlands region, West Virginia, USA (Zone 6a?)

I know this is an old thread, but last summer I nurtured Rattlesnake beans. I found out that Rattlesnake string beans are able to both go to seed and still produce new pods. The answer is yes, you can have both Rattlesnake bean seeds and eat the younger bean pods too. :mrgreen:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”