jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Carrot Blooming

I planted a big over-wintered carrot in the Spring. It is blooming and will make me some seed soon.

applestar
Mod

Very pretty! And they attract a lot of bees and beneficial insects, too.

I like the effect of carrots and elderberries blooming together -- they bloom around the same time -- so I always let some carrots overwinter and bloom whether I collect seeds or not.
Attachments
Carrots in the foreground, several times larger elderberry flowers on the other side of the fence (though I had some even bigger ones bloom earlier on this side of the fence too)
Carrots in the foreground, several times larger elderberry flowers on the other side of the fence (though I had some even bigger ones bloom earlier on this side of the fence too)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I always leave a few carrots to bloom, for the beneficial insects... I have some just starting now.

cdog222
Cool Member

This is one of the reasons why I love this web site and all of you good folks generously sharing your experiences - it is a never ending supply of new ideas, and actual real life experiences. I can't wait to try to flower some carrots!

If I plant some carrots for fall harvest and left a dozen or so to overwinter, do they take well to being transplanted early in the spring to new locations, or would I be better served to just plant them this fall where I intend for them to flower next year?

Thanks!

applestar
Mod

Though mine are ones that grew during the year and never lifted, I think I would situate them in the fall. I mulch them like fall bulbs.

Keep in mind that the flower stalks get to be 4-6 ft tall.

cdog222
Cool Member

Good to know - that narrows down the potential locations a bit!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

In my country, it gets cold enough that the carrots freeze if left in over winter. I put some in a pit then re-plant them in the spring. Yes, they bloom in the second year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”