applestar
Mod

Need your help to brainstorm ideas for planting after squash

So the East end of my mounded row bed where three of the unprotected winter squash were planted is about to become vacant due to SVB damage. The winter squash are immature but will have to be harvested and made the best of.

It's one of my sunniest spots. The worked soil area is approximately 3 feet x 4 feet (the squash vines had expanded a couple more feet out onto the papered and mulched grassy area) -- but I can't DIG those extra two feet.

The bed is located where this side of the property slopes down to the fence, so when it rains or when I water a lot (over 1") the paths on both sides are flooded with approximately two inches of water. The bed is mounded well above that -- at least 8-12" or more. But the deeper root zone could remain flooded for a couple of days.

But so far, we have tended to have drought conditions and ALL THAT moisture gets sucked right up by the dry ground. I have a small bog garden just beyond (1 foot past the papered area) which holds excess water for a while, which keeps this area from completely drying up in the drought.

WINTER SQUASH seemed to have loved the conditions here.

I'm looking for suggestions on what would be ideal medium maturing crop to plant here now? (We're probably looking at about 85 - 90 days to possible first frost ...minus "Fall Factor" of two weeks brings us down to 71 - 76 days.)
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

applestar
Mod

Re: Need your help to brainstorm ideas for planting after sq

-- Although I have a few tomato plants that had a set back due to rust mites COMPLETELY destroying the original main stem and foliage, but have recovered from new side shoots, based on last year's experience with flooded conditions, I don't think they will do well here.

-- I have eggplant plants in 2 and 3 gallon containers that need to be uppotted or planted. How are they in wet conditions? Do they drink/need a lot if water?

-- I'm not keen on planting any brassica or radish or turnip that would need protection from cabbage whites, moths, and harlequin bugs.

-- I have those tiny reject onions that didn't grow well from spring planting that
I was going to try to grow to harvest as green onions before frost/freeze.

-- Once the winter squash in the protected tunnel are harvested, I could shift the hoops and use the tunnel which is made from garden fleece to provide season extending protection for this area, which might open up some additional possibilities.

Thoughts? Any other possibilities? (I'm thinking most root crops wouldn't do well here....)
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

beans? I've been planting various beans lately to fill in spots where stuff has been pulled.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

Beans is a good idea. I'm starting to harvest runners and purple podded pole beans -- both flat podded beans -- and I feel like I'm missing out on the round podded beans.

I did plant the 3 gal eggplant here to start with... Mostly because this one HAD to be uppotted one way or another. But I still have room for beans, and it looks like the Kakai is beginning to finish up to make even more room.... 8)
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”