organgarden
Newly Registered

dying basil

Hey, I have my basil plant for over 10 days now. Since my last one died I decided to take a picture this time which I did few days after I got the plant.
After one week a many parts of the basil died and I noticed this yellow spots on leaves. Does anybody know what is this? Is it safe to eat and is it harmful to plant? I keep it on my balcony which is often windy, exposed to direct sunlight for few hours a day and has a lot of light even if it is not exposed to direct sunlight. I'm I pouring to much water or not enough maybe?
The color hasn't changed although it seems that on the pictures, that's just because I took the first one when there was more light.
Can anyone help me :?: I would really appreciate any help :D
Attachments
disease?
disease?
after one week
after one week
This was basil few days after I bought it.
This was basil few days after I bought it.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Are you keeping the plant inside? If so, they need LOTS of sun. They tend to get really leggy and blah without pretty much full sun. I've been unable to keep basil inside. I have kept basil on the FRONT (east) side of my house which only gets about 6 hours of sun daily, and the basil still grows well, but stays tender.

That's a LOT of plants for that
Itty bitty pot. I'd go WAY upon pot size.

The yellow color makes me think that you've been watering it too much. Are you letting the soil dry out before you water?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The marks in the first picture look like the damage from some kind of sucking insect, aphids or thrips or something. Check carefully.

Otherwise, I agree with everything Lindsay said. Every one of those stems is a PLANT and there are way too many of them. Each one should be in its own pot, bigger than the one they are all in. Probably what you want to do is get how many pots and how much potting soil you think you can manage, put one plant per pot and then compost all the rest, since you have enough basil there for a farm. You can pick the strongest ones to keep.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”