erins327

Bean survival in Texas summers?

Hey y'all,

So summer is officially here in Central Texas, with high 90's and soon to be 100 degrees everyday. I grew green beans for the first time last year, had an excellent crop, and then pulled them mid-summer, but I don't remember why exactly. I assume they kinda browned up and withered away. Anyone with experience in hot climates have any experience with them 'coming back' in the Fall like indeterminate tomatoes do? With my tomatoes for instance, I just keep them alive and they will happily produce in the Fall.
Should I try to keep the green beans the same way? More specifically, they are the Pencil Pod, Tendergreen, and purple variety that I lost the package and don't remember!

feldon30

Green beans, especially bush beans, only give you a flush or two of beans and then peter out. I would sow new seeds in August or early September.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I've been doing a LOT of research on beans! Mainly because I'm tired of hurting my back bending over to pick the bush varieties.

IME, bush beans give me 1 small flush, 1 LARGE flush, and another scraggly flush of beans. I grow contender, derby, and blue lake bush. After that last little crop, they really don't give me any more. Even when I keep them picked clean. I usually mow them down and till in and replant for a fall crop. They give a quicker crop.

From what I've read, pole beans take longer to give beans, but once the start they don't stop till they die from frost or succumb to disease. They give a larger yeild over a longer period of time.

erins327

Thanks for the reply guys. And looks like you are right! From the time I posted the question to now, they have already withered enough that makes me think there is no way they will last!

No worries, I need to space to plant some other things!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”