Garden_nut
Newly Registered

Seed potatoes online

Where is a good place to order red seed potatoes online?

applestar
Mod

Are you trying to order now because most places I know only ship them in early spring.
Where do you live?

I've ordered from Maine Potato Lady, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, and Johnny's Selected Seeds. I've considered ordering from Fedco and Sandhill Preservation.

Garden_nut
Newly Registered

I live in arkansas. I was wanting some for a fall crop.

applestar
Mod

I was curious since planting potatoes now seemed strange to me, and found this info about fall production of Irish potatoes at U of Arkansas site:
Midseason and late varieties may be planted as late as July 15 to August 1 for fall production. Late potatoes are best for winter storage.
https://www.uaex.edu/publications/PDF/FSA-6016.pdf

So there must be sources that would ship to you at this time of the year. I think I would look for ones that are geographically close to you because I can't imagine potatoes shipped in in this heat would hold up very well, so minimum transit time should be better.

Alternatively, I wonder if you could find some at a local farm supply store?

applestar
Mod

Well, I did a quick look -- "fall shipping seed potatoes" -- and so far came across two sources that would have shipped until mid-June and another that is located in Oregon that doesn't specify shipping timeline but sells "organic seed potatoes for fall crop." So they are out there.

Here's another tidbit:
Fall-planted spuds produce outstanding yields by May. However, if your area experiences hard winters (USDA Zones 1–7), or you tend to have long, wet spring seasons when rot might be a problem, plant potatoes in spring
https://www.groworganic.com/seeds/seed-potatoes.html

Garden_nut
Newly Registered

Wow! Thank you for all your help.
I've checked all the local places but none have anything right now and don't offer much help where to get them. I could possibly be out of luck since I waited so long to order. I've located a few places and actually they come up on amazon when I search. But I also read reviews if available. So far, not so good.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”