applestar
Mod

Re: What are you harvesting -Summer 2014

White flowers are Maid of Orleans jasmine. I pick them for tea. I wish you could smell them. :D

The raspberry is Anne. I just planted them this spring so only a handful from mature canes that they came with. But the production should get better each year.

You didn't ask but blackberry is Triple Crown thornless. Until last year, I thought blackberries were drought tolerant. This year, I'm taking care to water them and they are producing beautiful big berries. I've been picking about a cupful every single day and my daughters eat them all, so nothing to preserve. -oh well-

imafan26
Mod

Brown turkey figs, I got one strawberry the birds and snails missed, beans, cucumber, cutting celery. The corn is tasseling now so I should have Silver Queen corn very soon and eggplant.

Linde

Today's harvest:
image.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Lots of tomatoes! I'd have cucumbers if I didn't have pickle worms in every single cuke. Even the new teeny tiny ones!

applestar
Mod

Have you been affected by pickleworms before? I think imafan mentioned bagging the cukes.
I never knew such a pest existed until I got them in my experimental winter indoor cuke. not doing that again though since I think cukes need more light and heat than tomatoes.

I've been harvesting every other day --
image.jpg
image.jpg
3-1/2 Lbs watermelon and a runt.
3-1/2 Lbs watermelon and a runt.
Linde's photo shows a somewhat deformed cucumber. I'm getting a lot of that now. cukes with big fat stem end and stunted blossom end. I think that has to do with incomplete pollination. I left some on the vine (combination of too many to harvest and curious to see if they fill out a little more given time) and as long as you don't wait until the stem end is tight and shiny and huge, they are still good to eat, though the underdeveloped blossom end has strange texture.

...but I give any portion of the cucumber I don't want to eat to the kitties.

After the rush of cucumbers including the overgrown ones, I think they are dwindling to the incompletely pollinated ones and bent ones. Severely affected by powdery mildew, I cut so many leaves off I couldn't tie off the big grocery bag.

Some of the early tomatoes are going down due to triple pressure from russet mites, septoria and early blight, but later maturing varieties are loaded with still green fruits and they should be ready to harvest soon.

Beans... BEANS... B.E.A.N.S. :shock:
I substituted the big fat ones in place of dry beans in a chili recipe. If you break them into one inch pieces by hand, you can get all the strings out, then the pods are nice and "meaty" with lots of beany flavor.

...and I give any blemished beans or beans with nibble holes to our kitties.

One of the two kitties prefer the cucumbers and the other one prefers the beans, though they will eat both most of the time. When I handed DD a handful of blemished and nibbled bean pieces to give the kitties, she came back and reported that the one kittie wanted the beans so much she tried to do the flying catch maneuver -- jump up and clap front paws together over the target... In this case the bean DD was about to hold out to her :shock: :roll:

Later, I offered more beans and the same kittie gobbled them up, shouldering the other kittie aside, and when the 2nd kittie got in there, she sniffed and then turned her nose up as if to say (these aren't cucumbers). :lol:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I've never seen them before. I see a hole, I pull out my pocket knife and cut till I find it. Some of my cukes have had up to five worms!!! I'm honestly just going to pull them. I guess I could BT, but they're getting pressure from squash bugs, too, which are getting more and more numerous.

ETA:

Everything I'm reading about them satmys that they are really hard to control. BT doesn't work, and nematodes are effective, but expensive. Trap crops don't work, and biological prey are not well established in my area. Everything I'm reading just suggests to plant early. :-/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Today's harvest, all from my 10 x 5 front lawn bed (except the lavender is in a nearby container)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The last of the cucumbers and corn. Got a few taters to dig, and some carrots. Just hauled in the pumpkins and a few winter squash. Its about all over here. We had a bit of frost two nights ago.

applestar
Mod

Looking good rainbowgardener. Looks like dinner ingredients right there :D. With lavender to decorate the table and maybe sprinkle on after dinner ice cream. :wink:

Jal_ut. I still can't get over how quickly the season ends for you and others in colder regions. Though we are feeling the chill -- 47°F overnight forecast for tonight. (It was 50 this morning)

I'm harvesting the Good Mother Stallard shelling beans as yellowed pods to dry inside and shell, and found some more Tiger Eye beans hiding in the weeds. Last of the Bloody Butcher corn. I'm "harvesting" the drying giant stalks and putting them under the overhang to hopefully keep them from getting moldy so I can use them for fall decoration (it should be OK to put them up after the Equinox.)

I've stopped harvesting the other beans as snap beans because I want the rest to be shelling beans. I hope 2-3 weeks will be enough time for them to fully mature before frost. I did pick some purple podded pole beans to see if they are ready to dry. (Oh. I didn't take a picture of those monster beans. I'll have to add later)

Peppers are starting to blush and ripen more quickly now. My container Petit Nigra fig is starting to ripen -- Harvested two fruits and one more will be harvested today. The low temperature is not going to help though. Last year, I ended up bringing in the fig tree with at least a dozen still hard fruits, and they ripened sometime during the winter. (Which wasn't entirely a bad thing, mind you. :wink: )

:arrow: Subject: What are you harvesting -Fall 2014
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

applestar wrote:Someone sent me seeds for what she called Aztec Broccoli and included a link for more info (https://seedsrootsleavesfruits.blogspot. ... ccoli.html). I realized I have a wild cousin and tried harvesting the tiny floral buds. They were yummy as garnish in a chicken soup.

She's also sending me Spinach Tree seeds. I have wild cousin to that as well, which we all know as lambs quarters (also pictured above). Hers is gorgeous frosty dark blue-green though, with magenta new leaves... and of course HUGE. I've seen them called "Magenta Spreen".
Here they are! Spinach Tree are growing :-()
image.jpg
...I guess we need a new thread for this year...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”