JayPoc
Greener Thumb

What are you harvesting -Summer 2014

Been incredibly busy here. I've barely had time to read the threads, much less to post up some pics. Here's a quicky though:

applestar
Mod

Very first cucumber yesterday!
image.jpg
Two more are just needing a couple more days. One is a Japanese variety that I've been waiting to try. 8)

Also harvested the first Coyote small cherry tomato, but somehow it never made it back to the house.... :>

...finishing up the pea harvest from the patio window boxes... I really thought I'd planted enough peas to freeze some shelled peas THIS TIME, but it turns out that if I harvest a good amount, DH feels it's safe to shell and eat them along with the kids (otherwise, he feels like he should refrain and save them for the kids to eat). So with the groundHOG and Baby Fweddy Fwed bunny taking out the Tall Alderman pole pea and snap pea beds, which essentially brought down the harvest to 1/2 what it could have been, I was again unable to freeze any peas. Growing fall peas has been a challenge so far, but I guess I'll have to try again. :?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

What can I say other than peas ... ?

Kale continuing at a steady clip! This year, I have the usual Scotch, my second time growing Portuguese kale and, for the first time, Russian kale! All look different, taste different and Russian kale is not even the same species!

But, that harvest has been ongoing over several weeks ... Onions! Bunching and bulbing, with the bulbs just beginning to form.

Well, onion harvesting has been going on for quite awhile ... Beets, of course my favorites are baby beets but they are beginning to move away from "baby" stage, in an ongoing fashion ...

I was willing to pull 2 plants for new potatoes and there are "baby" carrots - boy, they are tiny. There is one zucchini out there that might be ready soon. ... Oh Well, there was a whole boatload of snap peas off the vines, yesterday ... Therewillonlybeafewshellpeas! And, and, the snow peas look bad!

You know, the pea season is so short they will be gone in milliseconds!

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Tomatoes, beefsteak, but I am using them for cooking. They are o.k. not acidic but on the bland side. The birds don't bother them. I did get a few cherry tomatoes too. The birds are eating those so they do have flavor.

I got a few zucchini and now my plant is only putting out male blooms for stuffing. Cucumber: suyo and tendergreen, my lettuce bolted again, green onions, chili peppers, cutting celery, araimo, ginger, kale, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, chocolate mint, peppermint and spearmint.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes! Peppers (bell peppers and Anaheim chilis)! Last of the broccoli and cabbage. First of the carrots. Tons of chard, small amounts of kale. My cilantro is now covered in coriander seed which looks ready to harvest. Caraway seed is coming on. Lots of basil, oregano, sage, mint, thyme, rosemary, parsley, lemon balm. Onions. Looks like it is time to harvest garlic and all the hair allium that volunteered itself.
Oh and celery - more celery than I know what to do with. I'll probably freeze a bunch.

I didn't plant any squash this year, but I have one squash plant that volunteered in one of my shady beds that I am leaving to see what it will do. It is growing like crazy, but not blooming so far.

I don't know if you would call it harvesting, but I have been picking purslane and lamb's quarters. Last night's dinner salad had both in it.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

RainbowGardener, I neglected to mention a nice mess of Wild Amaranth. That sound better than redroot pigweed, right?

It was great.

There was also Escarole, which is new to me. We had it with white beans in a nice soup but it was even more tasty in a stir-fry.

There has been some broccoli. It's not doing well this year and I have no idea why other than it is being grown in what was a fallow hay field up until last year. "New Garden Syndrome," maybe. I'm hoping that after more fertilizer and hilling, the plants grow more and the side shoots are good. Hot weather may put an end to their season, however.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Someone sent me seeds for what she called Aztec Broccoli and included a link for more info (https://seedsrootsleavesfruits.blogspot. ... ccoli.html). I realized I have a wild cousin and tried harvesting the tiny floral buds. They were yummy as garnish in a chicken soup.

She's also sending me Spinach Tree seeds. I have wild cousin to that as well, which we all know as lambs quarters (also pictured above). Hers is gorgeous frosty dark blue-green though, with magenta new leaves... and of course HUGE. I've seen them called "Magenta Spreen".

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I have a bunch of amaranth too, but not making seeds yet.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Those are also related to orache, AppleStar.

Orache self-seeds and has been growing in my little veggie garden for about 10 years. It is a lovely and tender green, altho it's purple.

The orache season has come and gone. I have a couple of mother plants for seed.

Steve
edit: how about dandelion greens? one small serving, too bitter for more!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I'm currently harvest cucumbers, tomatoes, gherkins, peppers, zucchini, and a whole bunch of herbs. The West Indian Gherkins are so good when you let the spikes go away. I love them!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Just a few things right now as the garden is getting pounded by our heat. Cucumbers, tomatoes, okra, green beans, peppers, eggplant and some herbs is all that is going well right now. My fig tree is just starting to give me ripe figs and will continue to do so for a couple more weeks before it's done for the year.

I had better success with my zucchini and yellow crook neck squash this year since I covered them with light row cover. Then I went out of town for a few days and the cover blew off in a storm and that is all it took for the borers to take hold and kill them in a couple weeks time.

I also have a large trellis planted in "Mirliton" or as many know them, chayote. They generally are harvested in the fall in these parts and if the vines are any indication, I should have tons of them. But you never know on the first year planting them. They do much better when they over-winter and come back strong in the spring for a second year harvest.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I'd like to try chayote!

Right now I think our beans are resting and preparing for another bloom cycle. We pulled a gallon of beans off last week. We just started getting cukes this past week. I thought my squash plants were done. We have obvious SVB damage at the crown, but they are persisting at life! I got a nice mess of squash and zucchini this morning. Cherry tomatoes. Green bell peppers. Herbs! Lots of lush basil and dill. Pineapple sage is being destroyed by some night time critter, but I've been getting some of the new growth. Bee balm is getting ready to bloom! Excited for it since this new one is MUCH stronger than the last one I lost in the last cold winter.

applestar
Mod

Today's baskets:
3 cukes and some cuke flowers, bunch of last peas <br />from the patio windowbox, some Coyote mini cherry <br />tomatoes, nasturtium flower, lime basil sprigs,...
3 cukes and some cuke flowers, bunch of last peas
from the patio windowbox, some Coyote mini cherry
tomatoes, nasturtium flower, lime basil sprigs,...
Garlic -- remembered to dig them before watering. <br />I forgot the last time and those have split open already.
Garlic -- remembered to dig them before watering.
I forgot the last time and those have split open already.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I had quite a harvest a couple of days back, and will get green beans, tomatoes, peppers and egg plant this morning.

I took some produce to a few neighbors. One guy thanked me by placing this picture on facebook with the caption
"Mater man struck again"

applestar
Mod

More garlic and onions. :D
Cucumbers every day. :()
Looking for lots of baby cukes to start setting at once so I can make baby pickles....8)

erins327

Basically about this, almost everyday.

The bush beans have pretty much stopped, but the okra has taken off!
Attachments
June harvest 2014.jpg

gardeningwithe

Well, not too much yet as I had a late start, but things are starting to come in. I had a good amount of peas earlier in the summer and have new ones growing, just not big enough to produce yet- not sure how well they will do but we shall see. Cucumbers, zucchini and yellow squash. I have a ton of green tomatoes and a couple are starting to turn (can't wait!!). Something has eaten my bush beans, but corn is doing well even if I got it out late, but will be awhile until it sets. Planted some runner beans, but don't know if they will have enough time to make it. Have a cabbage about ready to harvest, oh and harvested some onions already. Good luck everyone!!

applestar
Mod

Runners will produce until frost once they get going... even if later. So you'll be fine if you will be eating them as snap beans and shelled mature(r) beans. Plant more bush beans in a fenced area!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I picked a yellow brandywine that started to blush last Saturday. I carried it to the beach with me and put it in a sunny window.

We ate our first big tomato yesterday for lunch! It was bright orange, sweet, smooth fleshed with NO grainy texture, and simply luscious! Finally! Our report from the garden back home? The tomatoes are of course rolling in. Lots of cucumbers, squash, zucchini, and okra.

imafan26
Mod

I finally got corn. Tomatoes, cucumber, beans, bitter melon, radish, peppers, and cutting celery.

applestar
Mod

More cucumbers... I made a jar of Alton Brown's B&B refrigerator pickles, then added some honey and a bit more cider vinegar to the leftover extra syrup and made pickled hot peppers.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The peas are finished, vines pulled and bush bean seed sown in the bed.

Kale harvest continues. The first few cucumbers and zucchini have been harvested. Carrots are of a nice size. Beets. The broccoli made a comeback but has been subjected to days of 90 degree heat.

There are green beans developing on the Cascade Giant volunteer pole beans. These are the only green beans that have ever self-seeded in my garden and they have done it that for 3 or 4 seasons. I've started more pole bean and bush but the Cascade Giant got the jump on them.

The sweet onions are beginning to bulb but some continue to be harvested. New potatoes aren't so new now and I will try to leave them alone until the vines go down but they still seem to be going strong. The most recent plant had over 3# of small potatoes ... maybe I could afford to pull one more ...

Steve :)

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I pulled all the garlic
And 5 of these bad boys I am going to have to buy a couple new crocks this year. Very happy with the cabbage.

And the cucumbers are starting to pop getting 2 or 3 a day now.
I did a test dig on the carrots and they are getting dug here real soon.
I have hundreds of green tomatoes but no red ones yet they are coming slow this year!

bcallaha
Cool Member

We've been harvesting potatoes, radishes, cabbage, corn, green peppers, onions, and tomatoes. Unfortunately, no freen beans.....the rabbits got all of those in my spring planting. The corn has been disappointing also.....the coons get the corn just before they are ready. I'm putting up an electric fence to see if I can salvage the rest of my corn, and have a fall planing of green beans.

Brad

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

After a week of absence...

I've got some relish and zucchini pickle to make!

ETA: UNDER CONSTRUCTION! Please don't mind the patch job, we closed in our carport and that was a window!

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Here is todays haul

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Ohio Tiller wrote:Here is todays haul
Looks great. I hope you like cukes

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Here is todays haul
Looks like you've got some relish and pickles in your future too!!! :-()

applestar
Mod

Yesterday:
image.jpg
Today:
image.jpg
... I know I searched VERY carefully while picking beans yesterday and day before, so WHY am I finding ones that I should have picked THREE days ago...?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

... I know I searched VERY carefully while picking beans yesterday and day before, so WHY am I finding ones that I should have picked THREE days ago...?
Haha! :() Every time I pick beans!

What the white flowers in your berry bowl?

Nice white raspberries! Of all the goodies in your picture, that's what I'm most envious of!

applestar
Mod

White flowers are Maid of Orleans jasmine. I pick them for tea. I wish you could smell them. :D

The raspberry is Anne. I just planted them this spring so only a handful from mature canes that they came with. But the production should get better each year.

You didn't ask but blackberry is Triple Crown thornless. Until last year, I thought blackberries were drought tolerant. This year, I'm taking care to water them and they are producing beautiful big berries. I've been picking about a cupful every single day and my daughters eat them all, so nothing to preserve. -oh well-

imafan26
Mod

Brown turkey figs, I got one strawberry the birds and snails missed, beans, cucumber, cutting celery. The corn is tasseling now so I should have Silver Queen corn very soon and eggplant.

Linde

Today's harvest:
image.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Lots of tomatoes! I'd have cucumbers if I didn't have pickle worms in every single cuke. Even the new teeny tiny ones!

applestar
Mod

Have you been affected by pickleworms before? I think imafan mentioned bagging the cukes.
I never knew such a pest existed until I got them in my experimental winter indoor cuke. not doing that again though since I think cukes need more light and heat than tomatoes.

I've been harvesting every other day --
image.jpg
image.jpg
3-1/2 Lbs watermelon and a runt.
3-1/2 Lbs watermelon and a runt.
Linde's photo shows a somewhat deformed cucumber. I'm getting a lot of that now. cukes with big fat stem end and stunted blossom end. I think that has to do with incomplete pollination. I left some on the vine (combination of too many to harvest and curious to see if they fill out a little more given time) and as long as you don't wait until the stem end is tight and shiny and huge, they are still good to eat, though the underdeveloped blossom end has strange texture.

...but I give any portion of the cucumber I don't want to eat to the kitties.

After the rush of cucumbers including the overgrown ones, I think they are dwindling to the incompletely pollinated ones and bent ones. Severely affected by powdery mildew, I cut so many leaves off I couldn't tie off the big grocery bag.

Some of the early tomatoes are going down due to triple pressure from russet mites, septoria and early blight, but later maturing varieties are loaded with still green fruits and they should be ready to harvest soon.

Beans... BEANS... B.E.A.N.S. :shock:
I substituted the big fat ones in place of dry beans in a chili recipe. If you break them into one inch pieces by hand, you can get all the strings out, then the pods are nice and "meaty" with lots of beany flavor.

...and I give any blemished beans or beans with nibble holes to our kitties.

One of the two kitties prefer the cucumbers and the other one prefers the beans, though they will eat both most of the time. When I handed DD a handful of blemished and nibbled bean pieces to give the kitties, she came back and reported that the one kittie wanted the beans so much she tried to do the flying catch maneuver -- jump up and clap front paws together over the target... In this case the bean DD was about to hold out to her :shock: :roll:

Later, I offered more beans and the same kittie gobbled them up, shouldering the other kittie aside, and when the 2nd kittie got in there, she sniffed and then turned her nose up as if to say (these aren't cucumbers). :lol:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I've never seen them before. I see a hole, I pull out my pocket knife and cut till I find it. Some of my cukes have had up to five worms!!! I'm honestly just going to pull them. I guess I could BT, but they're getting pressure from squash bugs, too, which are getting more and more numerous.

ETA:

Everything I'm reading about them satmys that they are really hard to control. BT doesn't work, and nematodes are effective, but expensive. Trap crops don't work, and biological prey are not well established in my area. Everything I'm reading just suggests to plant early. :-/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Today's harvest, all from my 10 x 5 front lawn bed (except the lavender is in a nearby container)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The last of the cucumbers and corn. Got a few taters to dig, and some carrots. Just hauled in the pumpkins and a few winter squash. Its about all over here. We had a bit of frost two nights ago.

applestar
Mod

Looking good rainbowgardener. Looks like dinner ingredients right there :D. With lavender to decorate the table and maybe sprinkle on after dinner ice cream. :wink:

Jal_ut. I still can't get over how quickly the season ends for you and others in colder regions. Though we are feeling the chill -- 47°F overnight forecast for tonight. (It was 50 this morning)

I'm harvesting the Good Mother Stallard shelling beans as yellowed pods to dry inside and shell, and found some more Tiger Eye beans hiding in the weeds. Last of the Bloody Butcher corn. I'm "harvesting" the drying giant stalks and putting them under the overhang to hopefully keep them from getting moldy so I can use them for fall decoration (it should be OK to put them up after the Equinox.)

I've stopped harvesting the other beans as snap beans because I want the rest to be shelling beans. I hope 2-3 weeks will be enough time for them to fully mature before frost. I did pick some purple podded pole beans to see if they are ready to dry. (Oh. I didn't take a picture of those monster beans. I'll have to add later)

Peppers are starting to blush and ripen more quickly now. My container Petit Nigra fig is starting to ripen -- Harvested two fruits and one more will be harvested today. The low temperature is not going to help though. Last year, I ended up bringing in the fig tree with at least a dozen still hard fruits, and they ripened sometime during the winter. (Which wasn't entirely a bad thing, mind you. :wink: )

:arrow: Subject: What are you harvesting -Fall 2014
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

applestar wrote:Someone sent me seeds for what she called Aztec Broccoli and included a link for more info (https://seedsrootsleavesfruits.blogspot. ... ccoli.html). I realized I have a wild cousin and tried harvesting the tiny floral buds. They were yummy as garnish in a chicken soup.

She's also sending me Spinach Tree seeds. I have wild cousin to that as well, which we all know as lambs quarters (also pictured above). Hers is gorgeous frosty dark blue-green though, with magenta new leaves... and of course HUGE. I've seen them called "Magenta Spreen".
Here they are! Spinach Tree are growing :-()
image.jpg
...I guess we need a new thread for this year...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”