shannon_ebo
Newly Registered

edible squash or inedible gourd?

My husband & I just moved into a house with several large garden beds planted by the house's previous owners. They told us the beds had squash, but I'm having trouble figuring out what kind of squash it is, or whether it might just be ornamental gourds. Can someone with more experience help me figure this out?
Attachments
garden.jpg

benali

Definitely edible, very likely planted on purpose by previous owner for eating.

The yellow fruit in your picture is very likely "pattypan squash." Comes in green and yellow varieties, some people call the yellow ones "sunburst squash."

Tasty with butter, salt, pepper, or herbs. Requires cooking till soft.

Keep it healthy while growing... check for squash bugs once per week. If any appear spray with very light-duty bug spray.

Best of luck.

JosephsGarden
Cool Member

The largest squash in the photo is old enough that it's likely to be too tough to be highly desirable. Pick it and toss it then eat the smaller squash if they are edible. You can tell in a second. Cut the big one. Touch a finger to the cut then touch your finger to your tongue. If it tastes nasty as can be then you have just been poisoned. Don't eat any more of it!!! Hehehe. I do it all the time and I'm still alive.

imafan26
Mod

The patty pan or scallop squash, are best when about 3 inches across. They get a lot bigger, but they would not be good for eating.

applestar
Mod

Is it a pattypan (summer) squash? At first glance it looks kind of like a Jack-be-Little type ornamental pumpkin.

shannon_ebo
Newly Registered

Thanks, everyone. Having now brought these in, I'm still feeling unsure about what they are -- they look a lot more orange indoors, and they don't have the scalloped ridge typical of pattypan squash.....
Attachments
garden2.JPG
garden1.JPG

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I agree with jack-be-little.

Maybe a kikuzo/buttercup cross? Looks large but still immature?
image.jpg
I bet edible!

I def don't think pattypan.

Are ornamental squash poisonous? I thought they were just bitter, not toxic. Roasting big squash like these requires a cut, and tasting like mentioned above will tell if they're bitter.

At any rate, they're gorgeous!!! I'll bet tasty when roasted, too!

benali

You all are right. With that close-up photo I can see it's not a pattypan (my bad!). But hopefully you've still got a fun edible winter squash on your hands. Enjoy!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

There is also some kind of kale or rabe... Some kind of brassica in there.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”