ChrisC_77

Pumpkin leaves (not looking good)

I noticed this the other day. It still seems to be growing new leaves. I am not sure what this is. Looks like some sort of fungus. Should I cut the bad leaves off and if so, should I cut as close to the main stem as possible or where the leaf comes off the leaf stem?
Attachments
pumkpin leaves.JPG

GEOSAN

Look up Powdery Mildew... lots of info on it.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Eh.... I don't think fungal. It looks a lot like chlorosis. Nutritional.

Can you give more information about how you've cared for it?

It would make sense for new growth to form if you've fed it. Fertilizer is the treatment for chlorosis. The new growth looks plenty healthy. Nice and deep green.

I'd remove the damaged leaves.

ChrisC_77

I only water as needed and I have given it some miracle gro all purpose vegetable fertilizer a few times. I will feed it again and cut off the dead leaves. Hope it recovers.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

If the new growth looks good, don't feed it. If the new growth starts looking yellow, then feed it.

What's your feeding schedule?

Sometime fertilizer burn looks like that.

I still this it's chlorosis.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, I'm sorry, but I really don't think chlorosis, which presents as yellowing leaves that still have dark green veins:

https://toptropicals.com/pics/toptropica ... s/4061.jpg

I agree with powdery mildew. And yes, if you do a search on it here, you will find lots written about it. It is a fungus and it is the most common affliction of squash family plants.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I very kindly have to disagree. There is no powdery display there and that leaf at the bottom right looks pretty yellow with green veining to me. To be fair, your picture is of a different plant, and not even cucurbit.

Severe cholorosis can look like that. Upon correction, it can and will put out new, healthy growth. I've never seen a plant with advanced powdery mildew (IMPE) come back.

Here are some pictures of chlorosis in squash plants.
image.jpg
Chris, could you post some better pictures of you plant? Close ups of your leaves both healthy and diseased?

I'm happy to be wrong, and I apologize in advance if that's the case, but that don't look like PM to me.
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”