MiGarden

thinning the veggie plants

When I planted my seeds, I was told to plant 2-3 in each hole to allow for some that do not sprout or some that get eaten by animals. I now have quite a few different veggies that have 2-3 plants per hole... how big should I let them get before I try to spread them out?

JosephsGarden
Cool Member

Depends on the species... Can they grow close together and still produce a harvest like beets or carrots? If something like lettuce and spinach you might wait until the plants are big enough that you could pull some of them for a salad. With something like corn that doesn't produce a crop if overcrowded you might as well pull the extras now.

MiGarden

can the plants be transplanted or do they just need to be sacrificed :-)

PaulF
Greener Thumb

If you told us which plants you are referring to it would be easier to give an opinion. Generally once most vegetable plants planted in rows do not transplant very well. Some need to be thinned, some do not.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

That's true, I've been able to transplant lettice and squash , spinach doesn't like transplanting as well. Not sure about corn, but I'm going to try some as I need to thin.

Richard

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

IME most things EXCEPT root crops can be transplanted if you have a gentle touch. But that means you need to have a lot more room of good prepared soil to put them in. :) I would make sure they have a couple pair of true leaves and are sturdy and healthy before transplanting.

MiGarden

the big things I need to spread out/transplant/ thin out are

zucchini, pumpkins, maybe some snap peas

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Zucchini, squash, even pumpkin do great when grouped 3-5 seeds per hole. I don't thin cucurbits. I've never had issues. I do space out my groupings more than I would if I had individually planted holes.
I plant snap peas. 1 plant every 4-6".

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Just a thought for the future. Sow only what you need for a particular space. I practice Square foot Gardening. A good example is bush snap beans. They can be grown 9 plants per square foot. I plant 9 seeds per square foot. The birds get some of them - I just replant. There is no over crowding, no wasted seeds (except what the birds snatch up) and no need for thinning. Easy, breezy, lemon peasy!

catgrass
Green Thumb

An easy way to thin seedlings without disturbing the one you want to keep is to cut them off with scissors-that way you don't damage the roots.

valley
Greener Thumb

Joseph, How far apart do you plant your corn?

Richard

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Easy, breezy, lemon peasy!
My nanny used to say "Easy, peasy, lemon squeezey!"

Nice memory! :-()

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Lindsay - your Nanny must have known my Grandmother. Yes - fond memories.

JosephsGarden
Cool Member

valley wrote:Joseph, How far apart do you plant your corn?
Richard
I plant corn seeds 1 foot apart with 2.5 feet between rows, so each plant gets 2.5 square feet. My brother plants corn on 18" centers which gives them 2.25 square feet per plant.

I used to use a mechanical seeder that planted 2 or 3 seeds every 9". So I ended up chopping out more corn than I let grow. These days I precision plant just about everything. Makes weeding easier and I don't have to thin. Sucks if germination is spotty.

valley
Greener Thumb

Thankyou!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”