Gardener123
Green Thumb

Kohlrabi?

When I went to get the mail yesterday I found an open bag of kohlrabi seeds in my mailbox. I'm guessing a neighbor had too many and gave me their extras. Anyway, I have no idea if I want to plant this or not. I have never tasted it, and I don't know how hard it is to grow. I can always look up recipes if I choose to plant it.

Mostly I want to know, what does it taste like?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, It tastes kind of like cabbage. I have some growing. If you have room it's worth growing for a try.

Richard

greenstubbs

I find it taste like a cross of celery & cucumber. Has a texture if a water chestnut. I just skin and slice them with salt and eat as a munchie food. The earlier you pick them the better they taste, pick to late they are really fibrous and bitter woody.

applestar
Mod

Kohlrabi is a cool weather crop. You'll probably want to wait until beginning of September. It's pretty cold hardy and can take the frost.

It's super easy to grow... Except the bunnies seem to love it preferentially above celery, radish, Swiss chard or lettuce.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

We love Kohlrabi mixed with carrots in the steamer. They are a light cabbage flavor to us. They are also good if you want to mash them with cauliflower or use in a stir fry.

We just picked some from our garden and had them for dinner tonight. :)

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, wifey made Kohlrabi kholslaw with a bit of apple, and cooked the leaves, greenstubbs is right they are milder than cabbage. This is the first year we've had a big crop of them. I like them.

Richard

skiingjeff, Does that name indicate you're a skier?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have been planting kohlrabi for several years. Usually it is bug food. I just peel them and slice thin and munch them or put them with a salad. Flavor? Hmmmm, reminiscent of a turnip or cabbage.

heidihouse
Newly Registered

I've loved this vegetable since I was a little girl, and it's one of my favourites. It looks like an alien and tastes an awful lot like peeled broccoli stem. I usually eat it raw, sliced, with salt. I've also enjoyed steamed and put in a cream sauce (could add cheese as well).

It's like a root vegetable except that it grows above the ground as a swollen stem. Try some! And then be sure to pick them young and not too big (maybe 3 inches or so) to get the best flavour and crispness.

Linde

I love Kohlrabi. I grew up in Germany and it is very common there. I would say it has the texture of a radish, but a much milder flavor.

I'm growing some this year as well. Can't wait for it. Just a few more weeks and my first batch should be done.

It's great on some rustic bread with a bit of butter and the Kohlrabi sliced and sprinkled with salt. Yum!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”