ChrisC_77

Corn Tasseling early

I went out and checked on my garden. I am very happy with everything thus far. However, I noticed my corn is tasseling early. Or at least so I think. Most of the stalks are 18"-30" The variety is Sugar Baby (72 days) I planted around May 10th, Zone 5. The article I last read that said even if your corn starts to tassel early, you can still get a good crop. I might add that the tassels are just peaking through the center. But they are coming on. Plenty of water. Temps mild. around 75-85 day time high for the last month temps in the night 50s to 60s. A few days dipped in up 30's low 40's mid may.
"

ChrisC_77

Here are a few pics I took just now. I have only grown corn once before. This is a different variety called Sugar Buns. 72 days. Plant Height 5 ft. It appears to be at V5 in the pictures no matter the plant height. One strand of tassel is visible in the core of the plant. Now, this may be alright and the way it is supposed to be. But it seems early to me.

Also, I want to plant more corn, but really don't have the room. I was thinking about adding one row right beside each bush bean I have. I think at this point, My beans will come and have gone by the time the corn gets too tall? Plus that will be an added nitrogen boost.
Attachments
Corn2.JPG
Corn2.JPG (51.84 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
corn1.JPG
corn1.JPG (51.11 KiB) Viewed 1246 times

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Corn looks healthy but I do not have any experience with that variety. I have planted corn in weird spots before. Alongside beans might work, if you think the beans will be playing out in a few weeks.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Looks good to me. Enjoy!

imafan26
Mod

Tassels start to appear before the ears are visible. I would not worry unless the ears don't start to come out in a few days. Corn should be ready approximately 10 days after the tassels appear. I am also not sure of your variety. I like my corn to be 7-8 ft tall.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Another thing I might mention about corn........ most varieties have a "days to maturity" number attached to them. These numbers are simply a guesstimate. Corn actually responds to heat units. When it has had enough heat it will be ready. 72 day corn may come in at 65 or 80 days, depends on when/where it is planted and the weather. It will come in 72 days in the field where it was developed, if planted on the same date next year, otherwise expect some variation in maturation dates.

I make successive plantings of the same variety of corn to spread out the harvest, however I learned early on that spacing plantings a week apart didn't work in the spring. The first three plantings all came ready at once. This because the weather was warmer with each successive planting and it matured in fewer days. I now wait until the first planting is three inches tall then plant again etc. This actually spaces them out.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”