moldy20
Newly Registered

Puzzling Tuber plant?? What is it?

While assessing my tubers I came across these on one of the mound vines, only this one. For this amature this is puzzling- what is or are they?
Planted May6th, flowered 2 wks ago, now just waiting for harvest once the plants loose thier vigor.

[img]https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/moldy20/DSC00957.jpg[/img]

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Gee, looks like a tomato to me. What do you think it is?????

moldy20
Newly Registered

through enquiries in another forum I found out they are potato seeds that develop after flowering. They are for the same hybrid family (to be planted next season) but they are troublesome to grow.

Oh well I thought I have something interesting growing. Harvested the patch and I now have 32lbs of spuds from 6 hills.

Regards

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Hey moldy,
I have grown potato's my whole life and never saw them make seed above ground. What kind of potato did you grow? Congratulations on the harvest. Gardener Don

canuck

I was very interested in what you had growing there--I was completly puzzled at to what you had and as luck would have it when I went to water the garden yesterday I was very surprised to see that I had the same thing growing off my plants!! Mine are much smaller but I imagine that they will grow.
Anyway I was wondering what variety you were growing? I am growing Nova Scotia blue potatoes. ( my russet potatoes don't have any of these little seeds growing on them)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”