pinksand
Greener Thumb

Pole beans grown on fence

I've run out of room in my existing veggie bed but as I was pulling honeysuckle off of my fence wires the other day I considered the idea of intentionally growing something along my fence.

I was thinking just to the left of my gate because there isn't any honeysuckle there to compete with and it would get full sun.

I'd be shooting for a fall crop, waiting to sow seeds until August. My only concern is if the plants will damage the fence. I'm assuming at the end of the season I could just cut the vines off and start fresh next year. Here's a close-up of the honeysuckle climbing the wire since you can't really see the wire in the first photo.

applestar
Mod

Since it looks like a short fence, you might want to consider planting half-runners like this one:
White Half-Runner Snap Bean (Bush) 28g
Retail Price: $2.25
(Mississippi Skip Bean) 60 days. A Southern favorite. 'White Half-Runner' is known for its excellent flavor and outstanding ability to withstand heat and drought. Heavy yielding plants are bushy at the base with short runners ranging from 24"-36" and bearing fleshy 4" pods. Used traditionally as a shell bean for winter baking, or as a stringless snap bean when harvested young for use fresh, frozen, or canned. Pkt. (approximately 105 seeds)
https://www.southernexposure.com/white-h ... p-411.html

This isn't the one I have but it's similar. Notice 24-36" runners (as opposed to 7-12 ft or more) and heat tolerance. (I still haven't sown mine but am planning to this week.

Victory Seeds and Baker Creek should have them too.

benali

You're lucky to have a great fence for vegetables in full sun. Cucumbers will do well on the fence, as well as various kinds of vine squash. Your neighbors who don't garden will be impressed with your nature wizardry!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

So you don't think any damage will be done to the fence, either due to the weight of the plants or moisture from leaves against the wood?

If not then I'm definitely giving half runners a try! Maybe next year I'll rotate and do my cucumbers on the fence and the beans where I have my cucumbers this year. I'm really loving the concept of incorporating veggies in my flower garden :)

imafan26
Mod

I plant a lot heavier things on a fence. Mostly though the fences are either chain link or wire. Wood fences will hold up beans, but over time, it rots the fence. Vines have a way of being persistent about where they wanna go, so you may still have to keep turning them keep them on the fence and not try to take over the gate or reach out and grab onto a nearby plant.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”