Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

How high can you go! Sugar Snap peas 5 feet high!

I ate peas today in a salad! The sugar snap are flowering with some small pods ready to pick! I like the sugar snap over all the other peas because they get over 5 feet tall and produce lots of peas over a longer time period! I planted them over 2 months ago along a fence about 30 foot long!

Tons of big white flowers and the peas are ready to eat in about 6 days after the flowers. If you leave them on longer then you cook them, The younger ones I eat in a salad. You can also let them grow and take the peas out and eat them! I like to eat the peas raw when the shell gets about 5 inches long! Any comments on what peas you like?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I have grown strike and sugar sprint because it gets REALLY hot here, REALLY fast!

Strike is for shelling and they are pretty tasty! The pods fill in really quick and they are crammed in there. Also, they don't get hard and chalky if you leave them on a few days longer.

I tend to gag on vegetables with ANY stringy qualities. Beans or peas... Guy at my local greenhouse told me about Sugar Sprint, and I bought some online. They are also early crop, and fairly stringless. The lingerers got stringy in our heat, but they weren't worth eating and were over due for the compost pile.

We were late getting started this year, thanks to a massive home reno project. I'm missing my peas! I think my cukes are missing their shade also.

Both kinds get between 3-5 feet in my garden.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Mine are 5 feet tall. Honestly we eat them as fast as they grow. Not a crop that we can put in freezer or pick enough to have excess so it's not worth it.

pow wow

Well up here in the great white north my snap plants are only about 3 inches but they are worth waiting for.

applestar
Mod

I have short Little Marvel shelling peas and Sugar Anne snap peas in windowboxes, and tall growing Green Beauty snowpeas, Tall Telephone Pole shelling peas, as well as Sugar Snap and Sugar Daddy snap peas growing.
Little Marvel and Sugar Anne Peas with lettuce in the windowbox
Little Marvel and Sugar Anne Peas with lettuce in the windowbox
Green Beauty snowpeas
Green Beauty snowpeas
Little Marvel and Sugar Anne are producing right now, and second round of Green Beauty at around 5 feet have lots of purple blossoms and first pods forming.

When I sow, I try to keep DTM in mind, and to plant the different kinds separately. Also critical to be able to walk completely around the plants on both sides and to bend down and peer up -- those pods are excellent at playing hide and seek. I'm liking planting the short ones in a raised container like the windowbox as opposed to trying to flop the easily bent hollow pea vines back and forth like you can easily do with bush beans.

Oh, I once put up a 7 ft trellis for the sugar snaps one year because the packet said they grow to 6 feet. Well, they grew all the way up the trellis and I had to stand on a steps tool to pick the pods that tended to grow at the very top, which was very inconvenient. Lesson learned -- don't make trellis taller than you can easily reach. :wink:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Very nice & tasty thanks Apple. . I have a container with a smaller pea type and a climbing nasturtium plant together and they look great together . Remember you can eat nasturtium plants even the flowers and the colors are great.

pow wow

A question about my sugar snaps. The leaves are going white in a kind of streaked pattern. I can't find any pests on the plants. Is this a nutrient problem?

applestar
Mod

Is it getting hot there? Or is it too early for you?

pow wow

We have had several days of rain but on sunny days the heat can be intense until about 2pm when that area gets shaded.

pow wow

We have only had a few hot days so far.

pow wow

applestar,
Perhaps there isn't a problem. I see the same white colouring on your green beauties?

applestar
Mod

Yep. If it's the same, to me this is a sign that it's getting too hot and they are going to start shutting down. Other indicators are reduced number of peas per pod, curled prematurely filled/matured pods and sort of shriveled bunched up leading shoots. Then foliage starts to dry up from bottom up.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

My peas are now 7 feet and still flowering!

pow wow

This is not good news. We don't plant our veggie gardens up here until the third week of May. So my peas are only a foot tall and no pods yet. It's been years since I grew snaps but the last time I did I had a big harvest from them.

JC's Garden

I spent some time this morning trying to explain to my wife that our's are done. The tops still have some green but the peas are slower coming and getting stringy. I started with Sugar Anne's, my favorite. And finished with a few of other varieties. One was a dwarf. They all grew just as high as the trellises allowed. About 5'. I'm down in the sunny south and have learned how to use shade to extend my growing season for cool weather veggies. I turned my arugula under yesterday and only expect a couple of more days on my peas. It's OK though, fall will come.

applestar
Mod

pow wow wrote:This is not good news. We don't plant our veggie gardens up here until the third week of May. So my peas are only a foot tall and no pods yet. It's been years since I grew snaps but the last time I did I had a big harvest from them.
What did you plant at 3rd week of May? If you planted tomatoes then, peas could/should have been sown a month to 6 weeks earlier, as soon as the ground had thawed enough to work.

JC is right. Shaded areas are microclimates that can be very useful. My peas in the spiral garden are intentionally planted in the section that is shaded for most of the morning, which is helping. If you have a noon day shade or late afternoon shade area, that would be even better.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I planted mine in the middle of april and another batch a week later. I covered them only one night! Next year I will plant them three times a week apart! I mixed some onions with them and they seem to grow good together! This fall I will also plant them also! I let some get big peas inside and eat them raw or shelled in a salad and they are great and sweet!

pow wow

Our last expected frost date is June 1st here. And we have been known to have frost a week later. My carrots and beets and peas were planted the third week of May. The forecast was good so my toms went out as well. I'm only growing the veggies for baby veggies. I do have a shade cloth for my greenhouse that I don't use. Perhaps I can rig it to shade my peas from the intense late morning sun. Afternoons they are shaded by the house.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Last edited by applestar on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded the video

applestar
Mod

I was harvesting my sugar snaps and snowpeas and it occurred to me --

Are we talking about white speckles and streaks on healthy green foliage like this?
-- if so, this is normal patterning on pea foliage -- not stress.
-- if so, this is normal patterning on pea foliage -- not stress.
image.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
The heat stress I was talking about are like these:
image.jpg
image.jpg

pow wow

Thanks applestar, everything is fine then. Mine look like your first picture. It's been about 15 years since I've grown them so I couldn't recall how they should look.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Do y'all eat the pea greens? I never have, but I saw a chef put them on a plate dressed with vinaigrette. Just curious if anyone eats the greens?

JC's Garden

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Do y'all eat the pea greens? I never have, but I saw a chef put them on a plate dressed with vinaigrette. Just curious if anyone eats the greens?
My wife is a personal chef. Guess where she get most of the fresh herbs and veggies.
Yes she uses pea shoots and flowers. They are tasty and look good on a plate. I grow several varieties including an Asian variety that I grow only for the shoots. She wants flowers for a wedding she's doing next week but I'll have to disappoint her. Even my shaded peas are done. :cry:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Maybe there should be a movie like Bobberman and the pea stock instead of Jack and the bean stock!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I mixed some onions with them and they seem to grow good together!
Funny you should mention that!

Since this is ALSO off topic... :roll: I've read that peas/beans and onion/garlic are not friends. Before I got obsessed with gardening, (and hence read every book I could get my hands on) I never gave planting beans, peas and onions together any thought. They've always grown well together for me too! The only exception were walking onions. The peas didn't like them.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Last year mine easily went 7 to 8ft high. They outgrew the 6ft fence that I grow them against and then started to flop over. I didn't have supports high enough.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”