ChrisC_77

Straw Bale Storage

I Just purchased 3 bales of straw to mulch my garden. I have never mulched using straw before. I know a little goes along way. Well now I have 2 full bales left. I want to store them in my metal building. I have them raised of the ground a few inches on boards. I want to make sure mice or other rodents are not attracted to it. Any suggestions on how to keep the mice away? Thanks!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

How big is your garden? I use 2 bales (sometimes 3) on every row in my garden. Roughly 4'x45(ish)'. Any less and I get breakthrough weeds.

IMO, it never goes far enough! Haha!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are in good shape already, off the ground and in a metal building. You can give yourself a little extra insurance by strewing aromatic herbs around, on the ground under the bales and around them. This would be things like mint and lavender. Smells good to us, but apparently mice hate it.

I had a little crack where the window frame meets the wall and ants were coming in. I stuffed the crack with mint leaves and no more ants.

ChrisC_77

Would sage deter rodents? I have lots of ot growing. I know mint would be good.

Meatburner

rainbowgardener wrote:You are in good shape already, off the ground and in a metal building. You can give yourself a little extra insurance by strewing aromatic herbs around, on the ground under the bales and around them. This would be things like mint and lavender. Smells good to us, but apparently mice hate it.

I had a little crack where the window frame meets the wall and ants were coming in. I stuffed the crack with mint leaves and no more ants.
Great information. Thanks for the post.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

ChrisC_77 wrote:Would sage deter rodents? I have lots of ot growing. I know mint would be good.
yes, the sage should work too. Anything strongly aromatic.

applestar
Mod

The straw I used here had been stacked on top of some bagged mulch and covered with staked down tarp since last fall in a north of the house location away from the wall (shady all winter). It looked like mice did get in at some point (a small nest) but weren't there when I broached the bale. Better out there than in the shed or other interior location.

Ants were more of a problem, but they scattered with their belongings after being exposed to the sun.
image.jpg
It's kind of ironic because I want to use *spoiled* hay, but the bale of hay that had been stacked under the tarp along with the straw was pretty much dry and intact. :roll: There was a hole in the tarp that I had halfheartedly "patched" by placing a large garbage bag under the hole (not even taped). A little moisture did get in around there and that was the only portion that was discolored (not really spoiled).

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I really doubt that the mice will bother with it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”