thesnapman44

Cucumber support.

As I live with limited outside space, I decided to try and grow the "Bush Champion" cucumber. They are really coming on now, growing in a 4x4 container. The plant has a large leaf at either side, with the middle part opening up beautifully.
The question is, what is the best support for this plant and its growing environment? Could I use a metal wire, cone-shaped support that is used for tomatoes?
Thank you.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

4"x4" or 4'x4'?

You'll need to up-pot if you're in a 4" container or go to ground with it.

I've never really had to use *much* support for bush varieties. I usually alternate vining heirloom varieties with bush type varieties every other plant on a chicken wire fence in my garden. The bushing type usually don't climb or spread very much. Plant some dill and a nasturtium with it! :()
Also, they are water hogs. Mulch them to reserve water.

thesnapman44

Oh, I see where I went wrong lol. I did mean 4ftx4ft container, and not inches.
Many thanks for your reply. Especially interesting to learn that they are water hogs.
I am indebted to you for the advice given.
Have a great day.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

:-() :-()

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Most anything can be used as a cucumber support. Mine are growing up 2 x 4 welded wire fence. My father in law used to run his up 5 foot round tomato cages. You could use a flat trellis like those used for vine plants or roses. I'm not sure of the growth habit of the so called bush cucumbers. Perhaps no support will be needed.

thesnapman44

Reading some more, it looks as if I may get away with offering them no support at all. I obviously will keep checking their growth, and offer the support when needed.
Thank you Alex and have a great day.

imafan26
Mod

I have planted bush cucumbers before and they don't go out far so they do not need to have a trellis, but it is a good idea to plant them on top of a mound.

I used to plant Spacemaster. It put out most of the cucumbers at the same time, but they had to be eaten the same day or they lost their crunch pretty fast. A bush cucumber takes up about a three foot circle. If you have a small space it is actually more economical of the space to trellis them up. I use tomato cages for the cucumber. They aren't very good for tomatoes but can be stacked for the cukes or you can train the cukes up a string or pole trellis. Once they get started they usually take care of themselves, unlike tomatoes that you have to keep tying up.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have never used supports for cukes. Just plant the seed and let them sprawl as they will.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I wish I had the room to let them sprawl. That's some good looking produce!

imafan26
Mod

Trellising the vining types does save space and if you have long fruit, less curling. Bush types actually take up more space on the ground than the vining types on a trellis and the vines produce over a longer period of time and not all at one time.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”