Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Re: I have too many zucchini squash

*snort*

It's the same in where I live...

Season starts with, "YAY! SQUASH!!!"

Mid season, "You want another grocery bag full of squash? What do you mean you haven't eaten the 7 bags I have you last week?!?"

2 weeks later, neighbor closes blinds and avoids eye contact when seen out... Check their car door....OPEN! SCORE!!! Deposit 2 grocery bags full of squash. 8)

Next day more bags... Car locked... DANG! :evil:

5 days later...*Resigned sigh* guess I'll call the soup kitchen... :roll:

feldon30

Lab_Man wrote:
feldon30 wrote:In small towns in the midwest, people lock their cars in August. That's when the squash comes in.
I'm sorry, but I don't get it. :oops:
See Lindsaylew's post above. In short, people have zucchini and squash coming out their ears and so they start putting it in stranger's cars, knocking on people's doors begging for people to take it away. ;)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

People lock their cars to avoid un asked for gifts of squash. :roll:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You do what you gotta do to spread the squash love. :mrgreen:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

18 squash went to a foster home for children. They will put all the children to work slicing, bagging and freezing it. They have 6 deep freeze and 4 large refrigerators and a very nice big kitchen.

What is SVB?

My plants are loaded with more squash. I think I will make more fried squash tonight and zucchini pizza slices tomorrow.

There are no real Farmers Markets in Arizona. There are places that claim to be farmers market, they sell cotton candy, home made jewelry, home made wooden toys, hot dogs, hamburgers, hats, nick nacks, but no garden vegetables, no garden plants.

I have several water melons already 1 is 12" long 5" diameter. LOL. It won't be long now.

Best Farmers Market I ever attended was in Maine near Arcadia National Park. There was a lady that brings 400 homemade cake donuts every Saturday morning and was sold out by 11 am. Chocolate coated, powder sugar coated, cinnamon sugar coated, plain, 100 of each. We all had 1 and they were all good.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Dad was always an over ambitious gardener. He grew way more produce than he and Mother could ever dream of using. He sold most of his excess produce to a local owned produce market a 1/4 mile from the house. He sold the rest at one of several Farmer's Markets in town. We have at least 3.

There are always lots of baked goods at the Farmer's Market - no big Board of Health issues. Kind of like a church bake sale.

When I get out of town - in the more rural areas - there are road side stands selling seasonal produce. That does require a municipality license and permission from the property owner to set up. Early in the year it is Louisiana strawberries. Later you can find anything from sweet corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, Rustin peaches, onions, sweet potatoes, okra, red potatoes and of course lots of squash.

A fond memory is Old Man Callais. He had a small farm and sold his vegetables door to door out of a mule drawn wagon. He was a fixture in the community until the early 1980's. Good things do sometimes happen to good people. Business developments sprouted up all around Mr. Callais's property. In the mid 70's he sold off most of his land to a mall development. BIG $! The beauty of the story is that he continued to plant, harvest and sell from his small remaining plot. He reared his 5 children in the ram shackled house that he had always lived in - no central A/C. His children grew up working the farm. All of his children are professionals - 2 doctors,1 lawyer, 1 teacher and one business owner. They lived and were educated on what he earned. His children never saw the mega bucks until after his death.

We always listened for the sound of the bells on Mr. Callais's mules. In the later years it was a sight to see this elderly man in his mule drawn wagon on a 4 lane street selling his produce door to door. Miss Old Man Callais.

Lab_Man

hendi_alex wrote:Come back to your car and it may be filled with squash!
:| :wink: :? :o :D :D :lol: :lol: :-() :-() :mrgreen:

I my God that is so funny AND TRUE.

I laughed so hard when I read that Hendi_Alex.

Thank you
Last edited by Lab_Man on Sat May 31, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lab_Man

My wife is never as happy as I am as I'm carrying yet another tote of vegetables from the garden.

I still have tears in my eyes as I'm writing this.

Neighbor avoids eye contact, you guys kill me. :mrgreen:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ummmmmm, you drive around town and toss a squash in every open window?

OK, try zucchini milk. You liquify the squash in a blender and use the liquid for the liquid in your bread, cake, cookie recipes.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Gary: What is SVB?

Squash Vine Borer. Do a Google search on that one. Thankfully our winters here are such that it gets them and most years they don't make it here moving in from further South. Bad news for those where it does make it.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings, I'm putting the final touches on a car that is fuelled by squash. Yes, the main working converter, separates squash into different components, even the wind shield washer filled with an ingredient from the vegetable. Every function of this vehicle will be fuelled, English spelling, or lubricated by squash.

Back now to my first statement: "You can't have too many Zucchini !"

Richard

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Isn't squash about 90% water. Send them to southern California where they can squeeze out the water!
Last edited by hendi_alex on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lab_Man

My zucchini just broke ground last week and my tomatoes are a little over a foot tall!!!

I am getting a late start for sure, but I will be just getting my zukes when some of you have given all you don't want to your neighbors and are composting the rest. :P

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Lab-man, You'll still get some squash for your trouble, I just planted some as well.

Richard

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Richard - Alex - LMFAO

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”