wsciron
Newly Registered

Japanese Cucumbers-White Mold? and Bugs! Help!

Hello,

I'm new to gardening and started growing Japanese cucumbers and various other vegetables. I noticed the leaves had white stuff all over them then turned brown. I trimmed them back and saw the vines had the same white mold? on them. Also, there are alot of white and black aphids or some kind of insect on the leaves. Can anyone identify what the white stuff is and what type of insects they are and direct me on how to correct these issues? Thank you.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the Forum! Sorry you didn't get a response quicker.

Wow! I have never really seen anything like that. Cucumbers like other things in the squash family are prone to powdery mildew. It looks like whitish powder, usually on the leaves:

https://gardeningintunewithnature.bangor ... r-Leaf.jpg

As it progresses the leaves will start yellowing and get ragged and eventually die. It can also affect the stems, but I have never seen stems coated like that, so this may be something else.

And that is the worst insect infestation I've seen. I would start by treating the whole plant with a soapy water spray, water with a little bit of soap and a little bit of baking soda and a little bit of salad oil (like a gallon of water, with a tsp of each of the additives). The soap spray is good against the insects and the baking soda helps against whatever kind of fungus that is. The oil just helps it all stick. Spray the whole plant thoroughly including all the undersides of leaves and repeat once a week or so.

Let us know how it works.

imafan26
Mod

I think it is scale, an insect not a fungus. try scraping it off. If you can scrape it off, that is probably what you have. The plant looks to be heavily infested and I would pull it out. Check around plants nearby scale is not particular about hosts.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”