Millstone Farm

Drip tape,,,is this a good deal?

My garden is 10 rows @ 60'. The whole thing is 30' x 60'. Is this a good deal for a drip tape kit? It looks like alot of $$ to me. Or do you know of a better one? Thanks! :)

https://www.amazon.com/Irrigation-Mart-D ... +drip+tape

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Milestone - when I was actively landscaping I ordered micro drip and micro spray systems from Poly Drip in Baton Rouge, La. The have an extensive, high quality product line. The staff is very pleasant to work with. If you send them a lay out of your garden they will help you design a system. I would suggest using 3/4" feed line instead of 1/2". You have a lot of area to cover and need the additional water pressure. They have a lot of timer options from simple, battery powered, digital timers to elaborate, hard wired, multi zone systems. Their timers do have a warranty. Back when - the simple, battery operated timers had a 5 year warranty.

Yes it is some what expensive but I feel that it is worth the cost. You get very precise watering, save on your water bill and save on your time and labor.

I do not know anything about the company products that you are looking at on Amazon but if they are up for consideration I suggest contacting them directly instead of just order a kit from Amazon.

I am not a fan of kits. I much prefer having the option to design an irrigation system.

If you plan to continue gardening it is well worth the up front cost for a micro drip system.

Good luck

Millstone Farm

Thanks ElizabethB

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

This is the link for Poly Drip in case you are interested.

https://www.polydrip.com/products/irrigation/

I hesitate to post links in my answers because I have had my hand slapped for doing so.

:roll:

imafan26
Mod

I find that kits have parts you don't always need and are not for a lot of plants. I usually go to the distributer and buy bulk parts. It helps to go with a scale plan and they will help you choose the parts you need and design the system.
It is expensive, but my system has been running for twenty years. It is now having issues with the main lines and connectors, but twenty years is a good life for a surface system.

Realize any irrigation system you install requires maintenance. Emitters clog, or get broken, Pipes get hit with picks and soaker tubing gets cut or pulled out when weeding, and risers get run over. In the long run the drip system will save you money as you will not have as much runoff or evaporation and it is easier to repair and more flexible to add or change it than a rigid pvc system.

I actually do use sprinklers and I use drip tubing to run my drip zones as well as sprinker zones. I have an easier time repairing them than the in ground pvc when it breaks and besides that I hate having to deal with glue.

I have heads in my garden that are hybrids. On a standard riser I can install a standard irrigation head (adjustable) or I can replace it with a micro sprinkler. This is useful for me when I am first seeding since I plant closer than the 1 foot spacing of my soaker tubing. When my plants get too big and start to block the sprinkler. I change it to a multihead and use the soaker or microsprinkler and connecting tubing to water at ground level.

Millstone Farm

Thanks Imafan and ElizabethB

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”