Gardener123
Green Thumb

don't plant cukes near tomatoes?

I think I read that somewhere in the last few weeks..... and most of my garden is now planted, but I have lots tomatoes and cukes to plant, yet...... if they do have to be separated, how far apart?

Oh, and peppers to plant, but I am waiting one more week for it to hopefully get warmer.

applestar
Mod

I planted cukes near tomatoes. I'll let you know at the end of the season. :|

GEOSAN

I plant my cukes on a trellis right next to my tomato cages. Sometime, when I don't pay close attention, the cukes grow over onto the tomatoe cages. I do it every year and get tons of cukes and tomatoes.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Beats me? I have planted cukes next to tomatoes many times. I will say this, be aware that some tomatoes get huge and the cukes can run many feet. If you plant them next to each other at least give them some room.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

I remember the article was about what was both good and bad veggies to plant next to each other..... I will try and google it, but I think it may be a long shot.

OK, this was not the article, but I found this:

CUCUMBERS: Cucumbers are great to plant with corn and beans. The three plants like the same conditions: warmth, rich soil and plenty of moisture. Let the cucumbers grow up and over your corn plants. Cukes also do well with peas, beets, radishes and carrots. Radishes are a good deterrent against cucumber beetles. Dill planted with cucumbers helps by attracting beneficial predators. Nasturtium improves growth and flavor. Keep sage, potatoes and rue away from cucumbers. It is said that cucumbers don't do well planted next to tomatoes. We have never had a problem with planting them next to each other.

imafan26
Mod

I don't think there is a problem. Usually with antagonistic plants, 10 ft is usually good enough. I have fennel in the herb garden and it doesn't like anybody. Plants will do fine next to fennel and dill until they bloom, then the other plants stop growing. Keeping them 10 ft apart solves the problem. Fennel actullly doesn't seem to bother gingers, horseradish, gynuura so we plant them together. The gingers attract a different species of aphid and the other two plants are bullet proof. Nothing bothers them.

The only thing I can see with cucumbers and tomatoes are that they might compete for the space since they both sprawl unless trellised.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Cucumbers and tomatoes, you can't get any sleep at night if you plant them next to each other. They stay up all night arguing. You might hear the cucumber laughing and the tomato screaming: "Stop it! I'm not that kind of tomato."

But, it doesn't happen in every garden.

GEOSAN

Thanks Valley, I needed that. :-)

feldon30

imafan26 wrote:The only thing I can see with cucumbers and tomatoes are that they might compete for the space since they both sprawl unless trellised.
If you plan to let cucumbers or tomatoes sprawl, make sure to grow enough for the pests!

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I planted then next to each other last year and they both did great never had an issue except for the cucumbers climbing the tomato cages. And tripping me walking down the rows.

brandon558
Cool Member

As mentioned before, I have grown them side by side, around the smaller tomatoes with cages so the cukes could climb and never had a problem.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Valley - LMFAO

I grow indeterminate tomatoes and train them up twine hanging from a re-bar frame. The cucumbers grow up a chain link fence. They are on the backside of adjacent 4' x 4' boxes. If I do not pay attention the cucumbers will twine into the tomatoes. Other than that I don't see why they can not be planted near each other. Last year I dropped my bag of cucumber seeds. I missed picking up one of the seeds and had a cucumber growing in my bush snap beans. I had to take it out because it was smothering my other plants. Growing cucumbers and tomatoes vertically - especially in subdivision gardens - makes optimum use of space and really eliminates the problem of one plant taking over another.

Good luck

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I never heard of planting pukes far from tomatoes. Maybe the vines climb the tomato cages. If water melons or sweet potatoes get in tomato cages it is a nightmare.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”