sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

A nice neighbor who has my soil!

He gave me some stuff to put in my garden! He actually has a farm with cows, so I went over there to see if he sold manure... well, he told me that manure isn't going to work unless I put some other stuff in the soil. He said because our soil is 4.2pH and sandy, it doesn't hold nutrients in the soil bc of the sandy, and the low pH won't allow the plants to use the nutrients. So while I put lime, it isn't enough, there needs to be more substance IN the soil. So, he gave me this paper pulp stuff from the paper mills, which is mixed with lime. He told me to scatter it and till it in and put a little manure or compost and things should be great. Here's hoping! I didnt quite have enough for my entire garden, so I don't know yet if I'm going to go back and get more or not, it was a big job to load it all up and bring it here, it was super heavy bc it holds so much moisture. But, I am hopeful that this will help!

applestar
Mod

Ooh sounds interesting! I hope it works for you.
Take some pictures and keep us posted. :D

p.s. 4.2 !!? :eek:

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

YEP!!! that's what he said, it was either 4.2 or 4.6, but I think it was 4.2. hence the blueberries all on my lawn! and he's a farmer with lots of tractor accessories hahaha, and I think he knows what he's talking about. ugh. well, I sure hope this works! now to find a tiller to till this stuff in.

imafan26
Mod

Well, it is great for blueberries. Sometimes it pays to grow the things that want to grow rather than try to fight mother nature.

The paper pulp would be high carbon but sounds like your farmer friend knows what works.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I have plenty of blueberries that double as a lawn LOL.

As for the veggies, well I don't' give up bc I'm stubborn like that :)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Sheila

4.2? :eek: I am stunned! No pun intended but you have a hard row to hoe to get that soil suitable for vegetables. Have you considered Square Foot Gardening or any other raised bed system? You would have much better control of your soil quality.

If you opt to try raised bed gardening put down a couple of layers of cardboard. The real heavy stuff like from appliance boxes. Work with your local big box or appliance store to get the cardboard.

Trying to raise the pH that much would require a very large amount of lime and the result will be temporary because the surrounding soil will quickly reduce the pH.

Do give some thought to raised bed gardening.

Good luck

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I've considered raised bed gardening, however I've put SO much work into this garden throughout the years, with lime and manure, and other amendments, I feel like it is close to being right! I am SUPER stubborn! I do get vegetables, just not as many as each plant should. my soil has come a far far far long long way from when it was when I started! it actually looks like real soil now! LOL! I did add some soil to it as well a couple of years back. now if this year is a complete bust again, I may consider it. we shall see.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”