harryhh
Cool Member

How do cucumber and muskmelon roots grow?

Odd and difficult question perhaps.

I need to be conservative with the water I use to water the garden. My apartment building will be paying for the water and I don't want them to be angry over the water bill.

When pulling up tomato and bell pepper plants, I’ve noticed that the root area is generally smaller than the plant itself.

I once pulled up a cucumber plant, and one root pulled from under the surface for perhaps 4 feet before it finally broke.

I'm going to be growing the melons on the ground, but the cucumbers will be on a trellis. I believe I only want to water these two plants in the area of their normal root growth.

So, does anyone know how much the roots of cucumber and muskmelon spread out from the vine itself?

Harry
Zone 5b. 100 miles west of Chicago, and a little more south.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Re: How do cucumber and muskmelon roots grow?

Hi Harry, Not 100% sure what you want to know, melons can root from the from the vines as they spread out. They don't take too much water, you can use a drip system which can help to conserve water. Tomatoes and peppers, you want to have a large root system, still nether take that much water, consider how many pepper plants you could grow with just the water from you nightly bath or shower, think about when you wash your car. Relax, plant you veggies, it's the best use of water you'll ever make.

Richard

harryhh
Cool Member

Hello valley.

My garden is across the street from my apartment building, and for the past two years I have carried water to the plants. Watering this way I haven't used very much water and the building management hasn't complained about the bill. I had calculated that I used only about one shower worth of water per week. Even though we have only eight apartments, one shower worth per week was probably not even noticeable on the water bill. This year I am increasing my garden area from about 300 sq.ft. to about 500.

This year, my building has purchased a long hose to water the grass, but it will reach my garden. I am thinking of using the hose, but don't want to overdo on the water. That is why I am wondering how the roots grow and how large an area I have to water around the cucumber and melons.

Since you say that melons can root from the vine, it looks like I'll have to water more than just the area where the plant comes out of the ground. Also, I had once pulled up a cucumber plant just to see how the roots grew, and one of them ran for at least 4 feet under the surface. So, I guess I'll have to water at least that far around the cucumber plants.

I know, I do things oddly.

Thanks,
Harry

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You will want to take a look at this:

https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrar ... 37toc.html

The cucumber has lots of roots going out in all directions up to 4 feet long in the top foot of soil with a few tap roots going deeper.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

harryhh
Cool Member

Thanks jal_ut.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I had seen similar information on other plants, although not as extensive, but couldn't find anything on cucumbers and melons. I guess you just have to know how to do a search properly.

Thanks,
Harry

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”