Drevere
Newly Registered

Just got my garden in

Just an exciting time of year. The tuberous begonias are in pots or the ground and starting to grow. The various types of tomatoes are in, trying grafted tomatoes this year. Not to bury the graft site below the ground but they appear spindly if you don't. Hopefully they will fill out. Added some carrots around the tomatoes as well as beans and basil. The herbs are in and trying lavender as a container plant this year. Greens are looking good as are the onions and shallots. Hopefully this "will be the good year". Parsley looking strong. Hopefully everyone is up and running. Best wishes and so far so good.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a nice garden! What is the point of the grafted tomatoes? What does it accomplish?

When you say you added some carrots around the tomatoes, is that carrot seed? or you transplanted carrots?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I would assume the point of grafted tomatoes are the same for other grafted plants: having top-of-the-plant characteristics you like (a specific variety of tomato, in this case), combined with a different variety's rootstock characteristics (disease resistance, overall plant size, etc).

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Great job. Now to watch Mother Nature take over and show off! I love this time of the year, with the plants growing literally overnight.

Last week I was planting my Mother's garden (she is 89, but still like to have a few plants in her garden). I was laying out the rows, deciding what to put where. As per normal, I turned to her for advice on where to plant what (over the years there has always been ONE WAY to plant her garden). Well, a defining moment.....My Mother said "Just put them anywhere, just so I can watch them grow!"

feldon30

rainbowgardener wrote:What is the point of the grafted tomatoes? What does it accomplish?
This seems to be the year of grafted tomatoes. I've been paying more and more attention to them as I may need to do this myself if soilborne funguses become a problem for me here in the Piedmont area of SC. Growing resistant varieties does not compute for me. I must have my Cherokee Purple, Earl's Faux, Tony's Italian, etc. ;)
rainbowgardener wrote:When you say you added some carrots around the tomatoes, is that carrot seed? or you transplanted carrots?
Possibly been reading this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Carrots-Love-Toma ... 1580170277

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I've owned a copy of that book for years and I do always plant a row of carrots down the edge of a tomato bed. I plant the carrots from seed as soon as the ground can be worked and then the tomatoes go in behind them maybe six weeks later.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”