brandon558
Cool Member

Light green plants

I was curious if someone would be kind enough to explain why some of my plants ( peppers, beans) are a light green and others are the darker foilage and look a bit healthier? I used some 8-8-8 and water them reguarley. Do I need to give them something to boost them up or do yaw think they will come around. They are growing fine it seems but look as if something is off by a tad bit.

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

To get a good answer to that question, you should really send a soil sample to be tested. It may be that there is some micro- nutrient (magnesium, iron, manganese, etc) that is deficient in your soil. Just adding NPK would not cure that.

The low tech answer would be just to add a bunch of good compost. Good homemade compost from kitchen scraps and garden trimmings mixed with fall leaves, shredded paper and a variety of materials composted together, will contain all the trace/ micro nutrients your garden needs.

applestar
Mod

Another obvious answer might be that some varieties are lighter green in color. For instance Jade bush beans and Golden Summer Hybrid bell peppers are lighter green in foliage color than other varieties.

Oh wait these are beans and peppers! Another answer might be that the temperature has been a bit cold for them? What are the other plants that are looking healthier?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”