Jeffross1968

Having issues with 2 of 3 types of pepper seedlings

Started 3 types of peppers from seed on March 17, so around 6 weeks ago. They are ghost, trinidad scorpion, and chinese 5 color. The chinese are doing very good but the other 2 have really gone to the crapper the last week or so, as I've tried weathering them.

All 3 were started at the same time, with a name brand seed starting soil. Over the last week, I have begun putting them outside. I'm in Western NC at around 3500 ft elevation. The official last freeze date has passed. We've had an unusually hot last couple of days, but they have spent time outside 5 days prior to that in nights between 40's and 50's and days mostly in the 70's (last 2 days in the 80's with no clouds).

Below is an example of what is going on. I can't tell if it's too much or too little water, or the weathering has failed. But I'm in danger of losing every ghost and scorpion plant, and it's too late to start others. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

applestar
Mod

Re: Having issues with 2 of 3 types of pepper seedlings

I would say 40's is too cold for pepper seedlings.
I only leave them outside or in the unheated garage when the actual overnight low won't get below 55°F (forecast in the upper 50's).

In fact they do better if the roots are kept warmer in the 70's even if the air temp is in the 60's.

In my experience, after overwintering, second year and older peppers can handle mid-upper 40's without showing signs of suffering, but not for multiple consecutive nights.

They are hardier if still in dormant state.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Jeffross1968

So your opinion is that the few nights I left them outside probably did this damage? Are they done, or can they be saved?

applestar
Mod

The first two look like they would recover. The last two I would wait and see. Keep them warm in the 60's or above. Maybe put them back on the heating mat and baby them for a week.

If you can put the first two outside in dappled sun or just morning and late afternoon sun during the day ((being careful not to let them get sunburned) when it's 60°F or above but bring them back inside overnight, I think they will show big improvement. It's hard to do though if you leave before the daytime temp warms up enough in the morning.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

All peppers are hot weather crops. Applestar is the Queen of indoors gardening and seed starting so take her advice as Gospel. I do not plant my pepper starts until the night time temperatures are in the 50's and day time temps are 70 or above.

Good luck
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Jeffross1968

Thank you very much! I've brought them inside, and we'll see if I can save a few. Was pretty excited to try some new peppers this year and I'll be disappointed if none of the ghosts or scorps survive.

Do you think I should keep them inside in the a/c during the day to recover, or put them out in the heat? The next 10 days should be in the middle 70's to middle 80's, though in direct sun, the porch is probably 10 degrees hotter than the official temp.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”