Bovina_Beas

Will dyed mulch affect my garden?

Home Depot had https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotts-Earth ... /202585785 Scotts Earthgro Brown mulch on sale a couple weeks back and I have some extra bags that I was considering using in my garden. Is this mulch safe to use around veggies?

imafan26
Mod

I think the earthgro mulch is made from recycled rubber tires. It is used more around playgrounds.

My friend did use it in his orchids, it worked awhile but then he had issues with it.

While I don't think it is unsafe around the veggies, it really does not decompose like other mulches and probably would not be a good thing in the long run for the veggies.

It would be ok for pathways.

Bovina_Beas

It says on HD's website that it is 100% wood shavings. I'm more concerned about the dye that is used and that it may leach toxins into the soil.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I've used the dyed mulch for several years around my tomatoes and never noticed any problem. After all, its MADE to be placed around plants. I initially had the same concerns as you but I'm pretty comfotable with it now. The packaging specifically says its fine around veggies...

feldon30

I used some dyed black mulch under my watermelons and it almost killed them. Not sure why. I switched to straw mulch and the problem went away.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

feldon30 wrote:I used some dyed black mulch under my watermelons and it almost killed them. Not sure why. I switched to straw mulch and the problem went away.
I know some of the mulches contain a chemical weed killer already mixed in. Maybe that's what you had? I always read the package REALLY carefully to make sure there are no weed killers included...

applestar
Mod

Here's the MSDS though it is conspicuously lacking in any helpful information: https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfIma ... f16f4a.pdf

It's does say the color (three available) lasts for 10 months. What natural dye would last so long? Well, no way to tell because "Colorant" is not listed. And even so, it must wash into the soil.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with dyed mulches for decorative purposes -- they all look horrid IMHO. Definitely not around edibles. But that's me. Vegetables are perfectly happy mulched with chopped or pulled weeds and grass clippings, wind blown leaf piles from along the back fence, fresh leaves stripped from tree and shrub trimmings... and compost. Occasionally I might actually buy hay and straw to experiment with.

If I had a chipper/shredded I might make my own more uniform looking mulch.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I was not able to find information on exactly what the colorant was. I have lots of friends who use colored mulch in there flower beds. I do not like the look. I prefer the natural look of pine straw (not to mention that pine straw is much better for both water retention and weed control). I do not care for mulch in the vegetable or herb garden. It gets in the way.

My 2 cents

francisp
Newly Registered

https://www.miraclegro.com/smg/goART3/Ho ... n/28000065
This is the page from scotts mulch site. They claim it's safe around vegitables. I have a big problem with the weeds and can't seem to get rid of them. So I am using this mulch. Hope this helps.

francisp
Newly Registered

part of the article from the Scotts Mulch site related to vegitable garden from the link https://www.miraclegro.com/smg/goART3/Ho ... n/28000065
Prevent Weeds with Mulch

Weeds compete with your vegetables, stealing nutrients, water and sunlight, so be sure to keep them out as your vegetables grow. Apply a 3-inch layer of mulch, such as Scotts® Nature Scapes® Advanced Color Enhanced Mulch, around your plants to help discourage weeds by blocking growth and access to sunlight. Mulch also helps retain soil moisture and improve the aesthetics of your vegetable garden. For more dirt on gardening, read our How to Start a Vegetable Garden 101 article.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I don't think anyone here is arguing mulch is bad.

Mainly the discussion is about the colored mulch.

I am leery of colored mulches, mainly because I'm leery of what the colorant is...

With no mention of the colorant, I wouldn't use it in my veggie garden, but maybe in the flower beds.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”