mwg9119
Newly Registered

PH of soil in garden

I have a raised bed garden that has 7 tomatoes, two banana peppers, and one big bertha bell pepper in it. I checked the soils PH and it is neutral meaning 7.0 Is this a good PH for growing these vegetables? I read that you want the soil a lil more acidic. If you do want it more acidic, how do I make it like 6.5 on the scale? What can I add to the soil with the plants already in the box? The plants look like they are doing good.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You don't really need to do anything. Your plants will be fine with neutral. If you really wanted to acidify it a teeny bit, you could just use some Holly-Tone. It's an organic fertilizer designed for azaleas and other acid lovers. Or you could add a bit of peat moss or composted oak leaves to your soil.

mwg9119
Newly Registered

How much of the holly tone should I add for a box of 4 X 8 foot about 2 1/2 ft deep?

GEOSAN

Don't fix it if it ain't broke ! Ph of 7.0 is fine and the veggies will flourish.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

mwg9119 wrote:How much of the holly tone should I add for a box of 4 X 8 foot about 2 1/2 ft deep?
as GEO and I have said, you don't have to. But if you want to, just follow the instructions on the box. It will be very little, probably something like a spoon full per plant.

mwg9119
Newly Registered

I'll just leave it alone and let it flourish. Thanks Guys. I built a rain barrel this year too. So I'm interested in seeing how it all comes together

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”