bcallaha
Cool Member

My DIY Seed Planter to Avoid Straining my Back

I have a bad back. I cannot stoop or bend over for very long without a lot of pain. I love gardening, so I improvise, and work on ways to garden without a lot of pain. Planting seeds is especially hard. I have a planter, but some seeds like my corn and beans just don't work very well. It sometimes gets multiple seeds, and sometimes no seeds, so I usually just hand plant those. I had a piece of 1" PVC left over from a water line I ran last year. I cut a piece of PVC about 4' long. I place one end of the PCV in the furrrow where I want a seed, and I place a seed in the other end without having to stoop at all. I just move the PVC the distance I need, and plant the next seed. It works great. I planted 6 25' rows of corn in less than 1/2 hour. :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I did a similar thing cutting the one end on an angle. Poke the point into the ground and move it ahead a bit with the foot and it makes a hole, drop in the seed and remove the pipe and it pretty well covers. Worked very well for planting garlic. I used 1 1/4" pipe for the garlic.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”