leaird
Newly Registered

Fungicide Question

My squash plants have white powdery mildew, which has begun to spread to my zucchini and cucumbers. I went to Lowe's to purchase a treatment for the mildew. I was advised by two garden center employees to use Disease Control, which is manufactured by Bayer Advanced. The active ingredient is Tebuconazole (2.9%). We sprayed the plants last night and checked on them this morning. The white powdery mildew did not seem to be affected by the fungicide. So, I called Bayer's 1-800 question line. The woman informed me that this product is not to be applied to plants used for food. She could not give me any further information. The Poison Control Hotline and the National Pesticide Information Center could not offer any additional information either. If you have any information concerning this fungicide, please share. I am heartbroken at the thought of having to destroy my garden that I have worked so hard on.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Grey
Greener Thumb

OK, I looked the active ingredient up. I always have to ask why they have to sell this awful stuff.

Classified as hazardous. "If shipped by sea, this substance is a Class 9 ENVIRONMENTALLY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE."

It is "highly acutely toxic, cholinesterase inhibitor, known/probable carcinogen, known groundwater pollutant or known reproductive or developmental toxicant." .... "Possible risk of harm to the unborn child.." "Toxicity to birds, earthworms and bees..."

https://www.bayercropscience.com.au/products/resources/msds/Folicur%20430%20SC_16_MSDS_0905.pdf

Oddly enough, the FDA has temporarily permitted its use on garlic... and temporarily time-limited tolerances for residues of tebuconazole in or on sunflower seed and sunflower oil.

At any rate, I'm not sure of what you can do. I just don't see why we need chemicals like this to start with.

It might be that the fruit you have now is unsuitable, but maybe the next round will be ok, since tebuconazole never touched them?

LoreD

For future reference, baking soda mixed with water is the accepted organic method of treating powdery mildew. Anything with sulphur also will work. Mollasses mixed with with water works as a fungicide.

LoreD

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”