hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Thought I was through with this!

Calling for lows into the mid to low 30's for the next couple of nights. At this part of the season, moving to the protection of the greenhouse is quite a task.

Phew!
Overall view: [Click image for larger view]

Closer view of tomato plants in the back half of photo one.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I'm patiently waiting for our May 1st plant date. Hopefully this was the last frost. At least it wasn't in the ground.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Alex, We all did the same thing.

Richard

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Your tomatoes looking great.

Here today, rain and snow all day. The snow did not stick, but melted as it hit the ground. Temp 41 degrees F. Now at sundown its still overcast though it has quit dribbling. Certainly not growing weather yet in this neighborhood. Had 0.90 in the rain gauge. Good moisture. Now we need some sun.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

geeze and you are in So Carolina!? The coolest night in my 10 forecast gets down to 43. I'm planting everything!

imafan26
Mod

The weather sure has been strange.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

We've settled in lows above 50 degrees and tender transplants are gradually being moved into permanent locations. Probably will harvest our first ripe tomato this coming week! Photo coming soon, but am enjoying a trip to the coast this week-end.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:... Probably will harvest our first ripe tomato this coming week! Photo coming soon, but am enjoying a trip to the coast this week-end.
I knew you were holding out on us. Teased us the early tomato starts you had, but not many pictures. You must have a great system to get a ripe tomato in May. I am just now beginning to see some blooms.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Started my earliest plants in mid December. Grown exclusively under CF in reflector clip on lamps and on a heat mat until late Jan or early February. Then started moving them outside in cold frame on any sunny days that were mid 50's or higher. Cool temps held them back a bit, but not too badly. The salad tomatoes have many dozens of fruit to set from very small to almost ripe. Still I'll be lucky to harvest over one or two dozen tomatoes over the next month. Oh, but those tomatoes will really be savored. Hopefully a flood of ripe tomatoes will be arriving by late May or early June.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh wow! You will have ripe tomatoes about the time I transplant the starts to the garden. What a different world we live in. :lol:

feldon30

hendi_alex wrote:Started my earliest plants in mid December. Grown exclusively under CF in reflector clip on lamps and on a heat mat until late Jan or early February. Then started moving them outside in cold frame on any sunny days that were mid 50's or higher. Cool temps held them back a bit, but not too badly. The salad tomatoes have many dozens of fruit to set from very small to almost ripe. Still I'll be lucky to harvest over one or two dozen tomatoes over the next month. Oh, but those tomatoes will really be savored. Hopefully a flood of ripe tomatoes will be arriving by late May or early June.
Wow very nice. In Houston, I rushed to get plants started in late December to early January and put them in the ground the first week of March in order to get a harvest before the plants burst into flames in July. I guess if you are market gardening then being first in the Carolinas could be beneficial. ;)

I just planted the majority of my tomatoes last Friday, with a couple going in 3 weeks ago (Big Beef and Cherokee Purple). I'll probably be closer to late June through August if I can keep my plants going.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”