JayPoc
Greener Thumb

ugh...after 2 weeks with highs in the 70s, winter returns...

Ok...so the weatherman....hate that guy....tells me its going to be as low as 24 tonight. I *think* (hope) it won't get quite that cold up on my hill - maybe 26 or 27. Not quite as cold the next two nights, but still right at or below freezing. Making things worse tonight, it's supposed to be very windy as well. Anyway, I've got peas, collards, very young kale, cabbage broccoli, onions, and lettuce in the ground. I suppose the plan is to cover the lettuce and let everything else fend for itself. Would you bother covering any of the other stuff? Thoughts?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

With the exception of beans I have all the same things in the ground, I think the lettuce is the most tender, maybe the beans also.

The same thing could happen here, but I couldn't wait, I wouldn't wait. Good luck with everything.

Richard

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

valley wrote: The same thing could happen here, but I couldn't wait, I wouldn't wait. Good luck with everything.

Richard
Same to you! The problem here is if you don't get the cool weather stuff in early, it won't be ready to harvest before the heat of the summer. Most years, our spring lasts for about 45 minutes...

It's quite routine to have a frost and an 80 degree day in the same week....sigh...

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I am a tad worried here (in NJ). I have a lot of things just starting to come up (from seed) in the ground. We're supposed to get down to upper 20s as well. I am going to stay optimistic that it won't get that cold in my yard. I have 6ft PVC fencing that will hopefully hold in some heat. If things die off...I'll just go to the local nursery and start things from there rather than from seed.

applestar
Mod

Yeah tonight's low is going to be on the cusp -- there's big difference with frost at +/- freezing 31-34°F, frost/freeze at 28°F and freeze solid at 24°F ...especially when the plants have been confused by the upper 70's to 80's daytime high temps and 50-60's nights for the last several days :?

That combined with the blustery thermal layer robbing winds? They are forcasting windchill of 16°F here. :shock:

RogueRose
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Yeah tonight's low is going to be on the cusp -- there's big difference with frost at +/- freezing 31-34°F, frost/freeze at 28°F and freeze solid at 24°F ...especially when the plants have been confused by the upper 70's to 80's daytime high temps and 50-60's nights for the last several days :?

That combined with the blustery thermal layer robbing winds? They are forcasting windchill of 16°F here. :shock:
Ugh. I am not looking forward to any of that. It is supposed to be warm again next week.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Well, it was 24 when I left the house this a.m. Might have dropped another degree before it started to warm back up. We'll see what happens... :eek:

Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

applestar wrote:Yeah tonight's low is going to be on the cusp -- there's big difference with frost at +/- freezing 31-34°F, frost/freeze at 28°F and freeze solid at 24°F ...especially when the plants have been confused by the upper 70's to 80's daytime high temps and 50-60's nights for the last several days :?

on the cusp is right!....we were predicted to have lows of 32 but some said as low as 30....had to take my chance since with my containers there was really no choice

got up last night, (to take care of some business... :() ) and checked the temps on my computer, they said we were at 32

this morning all looks well; I have:

tomatoes
beans
asparagus
squash
eggplant
Japanese cucumbers
chinese pea/greens
3 kinds of melons

checked em all, seemed fine....looks like I may have dodged a bullet...it is now 55 on its way to a predicted 63 with warmer weather predicted all week....looks good

let's hope this is finally all

Fourspot

I had no idea the weather was turning for the worst and woke up to a layer of sleet covering everything. If the greens survivied it, I'll have to cover it up tonight. Winter just won't quit. I went into work in shortsleeves on Monday and today wore a hat and winter coat. Awful.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

One more bullet to dodge...low of 25 forecast for tonight. After that, I *think* I'm in the clear...lol...

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Tought I'd follow up with a reply. It never got quite as cold as they thought the second night....probably right around 30. Most things survived just fine. My established lettuce showed NO signs of damage. Some of the cabbage and broccoli look a little "burnt", but will survive. A few very young lettuce plants caught the worst of it, but I think they'll survive as well. the 10 day forecast reaches into May and looks good, so I *think* the fretting over the cold is just about over... :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”